Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Have you ever had an engine failure in an SEP?

Yes, total
21%
Yes, partial
29%
No, never
50%
By malcolmfrost
There is regularly talk about what to do in the event of engine failure, either over land or water. What I have become intrigued by, is what is the actual level of possibility.
So,
By Gertie
I've said "yes partial" because the engine did suddenly lose a lot of its power such that we were unable to maintain altitude. It turned out (in my opinion) to be because the instructor's knee had fouled the mixture knob, which we discovered and sorted within a few tens of seconds.

Your "either over land or water" is relevant: we were over land, so the first thing we did, before trying to diagnose the engine problem, was aim at the nearest water, seeing as how we were in a floatplane.
Charles Hunt, Ben K liked this
By GolfHotel
Your going to need another option if a certain aviator is on here. Yes loads over both land and water. :D
By Rod1
1 total & 1 partial, all in my first 700h, last 550 have been less " intresting". Both due to faulty parts and/or maintenance. Not voted as not sensible option :wink:

Rod1
By flyingeeza
Classed my recent bit of excitement as a partial. It cut dead, but only for a few seconds. 8)
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
1 x full - failed ignition switch resulted in a forced landing on a river sandbar (Champion Citabria)
1 x partial - a fuel tank problem caused loss of fuel - and subsequent engine stoppage. In IMC over hills with cloud base below the hills. Engine restarted in flight when changed to a full tank - diverted for investigation.
By Ben Twings
2 forced landings, both in the same aircraft (VW powered). One allowed air to be drawn into the fuel line, the other was suspected severe manifold icing that the carb heat couldn't shift. So neither of them were technically engine failures, but nonetheless total power loss.

I've also had both mechanical and electrical fuel pump failures on separate occasions, leading to a sudden reduction in the acoustic environment when the mechanical one failed and a couple of exhaust fractures leading to precautionary landings. All that in less than 3000 hrs.
By Trent772
Coaching days...

Did some talks to LAA LAA people and was asking about engine failures.

About 5 gadges put there hands up....

I said - 2 stoke microlights..... :mrgreen:

We did laugh :D

Broke the ice and led onto a lot of good talky stuff.
By Grumpy One
1 x engine failure - about 10hrs into Gyro license training. :shock:
0 x engine failures in about 4500hrs SEP fixed wing flying. :thumleft:
By leiafee
I ticked partial although in the interests of self preservation (it happened at 600') it was treated as full and went into a farmer's field.

It was in a mate's fourstroke microlight after loads of people had sucked their teeth at me about my twostroke!
flyingeeza liked this
By jamespearce
1st. Partial on my first solo with a passenger (my wife) in a 152 from Bournemouth landing on a plain in the New Forest. No damage. Mag failure and two plugs on the other loom kerput. Power checks were ok before taking off. :thumright:
2nd. Total, flying to my daughters in Suffolk 3 Christmases ago, fuel from reserve tank failed to flow. Landed in a ploughed potato field. No damage. :thumright:
3rd. Partial, flying back from Sywell in a friends C42. Blocked fuel filter. Landed in a field of stubble, no damage. :thumright:
Dave_Ett liked this