Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

Have you ever had an engine failure in an SEP?

Yes, total
22%
Yes, partial
30%
No, never
48%
By GingerFI
One full failure in an SEP, it was an ancient arrow 1 and it stopped just before the flare so no real dramas. Although I've also had one stop due to running a tank dry.....whoops but switch tanks and all was well.

Several rough runnings due to fouled plugs, dodgy mixture controls, overheating etc.

And one failure in a fully loaded twin that decided to spit all of its oil all over the shop. Although I've shut down more than a handful more engines on a twin while teaching the MEP course, but that doesn't really count as it was fully intentional.
By Paultheparaglider
Groundspeed wrote:Did you retain the prop on your gearbox failure Paul? An instructor, flying a Shadow, that I knew had his prop depart when his gearbox failed.

Fortunately, yes, Groundspeed. It was extremely frustrating to have the engine running perfectly, but a windmilling prop with no drive to it.
By Paultheparaglider
flybymike wrote:
Rocker broke on 4 stroke twin. Ended up on Roedean hockey pitches.

I can think of worse places to force land.....

Not only did I have the bad luck to have a rocker break, Mike, I also had the bad luck to have it happen during term break. :lol:
By Grumpy One
GrahamB wrote:
Grumpy One wrote:0 x engine failures in about 4500hrs SEP fixed wing flying. :thumleft:

Cough...... :wink:

Wozza matta GB? Gotta coff? :clown:
By Bert Presley
Lockhaven wrote:1 x partial failure over water with a failed cylinder, it kept running for over 2 hours until I reached land.

Two hours? Crivvens. Your nerves must have been fried to a crisp.
By Lockhaven
Bert Presley wrote:
Lockhaven wrote:1 x partial failure over water with a failed cylinder, it kept running for over 2 hours until I reached land.

Two hours? Crivvens. Your nerves must have been fried to a crisp.

There was a hole chewed in the seat :lol: especially as it was a flight in the winter flying between Canada and Greenland :pale: