Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Twinnshock wrote:
Bob Upanddown wrote:How many of us have nearly landed at the wrong place?? :scratch: :oops:

And how many actually have landed at the wrong place?

I am one who has landed in the wrong place. The engine stopped and I landed in a field. Is this what you meant? :D
Stuart

Back in the days when I started to fly (pre-GPS), it was not unusual to hear that someone had landed at the wrong airfield, especially in a certain flat part of the country with many similarly orientated airfields. Of course it wasn't such a big deal then (unless it made the news like the Dan Air flight that should have landed at Aldergrove in the 1980's) but could be avoided by overflying the signals square (remember them?).
At some airfields, it is usual practise to land over aircraft (light aircraft and microlights, not commercial jets) waiting to take off. Not a good idea because one day something will happen.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
In the US, I've been cleared to land whilst (on one occasion) No.5 in the circuit.

I wasn't entirely clear how that worked from an ATC perspective, but I acknowledged and kept my ears and eyes open. It seemed to go OK each time, and on a rare occasion the landing clearance got cancelled and I went around.

(Whilst we're discussing local differences: I've also been cleared to land whilst on final to the LH of three parallel runways, whilst simultaneously a bizjet was cleared to land on the centre one. But in the opposite direction.)
flybymike wrote:
matspart3 wrote:Call me old fashioned but aren't ATCOs supposed to look out of the windows before issuing a landing clearance?

A landing clearance for a taxiway?

How many of those have you heard about? I haven't heard of any.