Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Got a reply from Bob asking for a missing piece of paper. Sent it and got an immediate response. Which included the thought that payments would hopefully start in June.

For something administered by a former gov'mint department it seems to be working remarkably well! For is that just because we have naturally low expectations of these sort of organisations?

Either way my thanks to Bob who seems to be doing a sterling job.
As if by magic, the email with body copied below arrives in my inbox this afternoon.
Looks like progress is slow but steady due 2000+ applications submitted before 31/3/2017.
First tranche funding hoping to be paid over to successful claimants in early summer.

This is a status update email to all applicants that have 8.33 kHz funding claims within the first tranche of funding.

The first tranche of funding includes all claims with an “E” reference number of E37641 or lower as they were received by the CAA before the tranche closed at 23:59 on 31st March 2017. Your claim is one of these.

We received over 2,000 applications in this first period and we are continuing to work our way through these to assess whether they should be recommended for payment. I am pleased to confirm that we have sufficient funding to cover all the successful claims in this first tranche, and we have now opened a second call period that will run through to 30th September 2017.

If you have not heard from us, then this is either because we have not yet completed review of your claim, or it has been assessed and is now recommended for payment.

Part of the EU funding contract is that we apply utmost due diligence and ensure the eligibility criteria have been properly met. As you can imagine, this is not a “5 minute job” to assess and review each claim form. Once all the first tranche claims have been assessed, we will make one payment to all recommended claims via BACS transfer. We are hoping to be able to do this early Summer.

There are 2 common issues that are causing delay in processing:

1. Applicants fail to provide receipt for purchases – we need to see that the goods have been paid for. Whilst an invoice is good in that it clearly details the items purchased and the cost, unless it says “paid” on it, then it is not deemed a receipt. We do need to see proof that cost has been incurred, this could be, for example; credit card receipt, card statement, bank statement, “paid with thanks”, etc.

2. If the total purchase cost of your claim(s) amount to £5,000 or more, you need to provide a copy of a bank statement that is no more than 3 months old. This must show name of bank, name of account, sort code and account number. You may choose to obscure financial transactions. Ideally include the bank statement as a supporting document to all of your claims, alternatively send it to one claim and note in the email that it covers multiple claims, quoting their “E” reference numbers.

If either of the above apply to you, then please pre-empt us asking for it and send additional supporting documents to us as a reply to your “E” reference email (note: it is that “E” reference in the subject line that ties your claim together).

Please be patient and rest assured that you are in the system.
PeteM wrote:
For something administered by a former gov'mint department it seems to be working remarkably well! For is that just because we have naturally low expectations of these sort of organisations?

Unnaturally low. It may be that our expectations have been lowered by

A. Constant media denigrations of the competence and efficiency of public sector organisations, however unjustified, and

B. Insistence by successive Ministers that processes must be outsourced to the supposedly more efficient private sector, prompted greatly by A. above

:roll:
You do not happen to work in one of those organisations Kanga? My personal experience of local and national government functions are that they would be hard to make any less functional / efficient / customer facing.

I would accept that when contracted out there is a further layer of obscuration from the bottom covering bureaucrats that own the contracts but....

Anyhow the CAA seem to be doing a pretty reasonable job on this.

But when I requested a minor mod on an aircraft that they held the design authority for it, took almost 16 months............
This jumped off the page.

I am pleased to confirm that we have sufficient funding to cover all the successful claims in this first tranche

As I have the correct E number, sent in the receipted invoice and supporting documents, bought a radio licence and have not had a rejection letter; I might allow myself a moment of hopeful anticipation!
PeteM wrote:You do not happen to work in one of those organisations Kanga? My personal experience of local and national government functions are that they would be hard to make any less functional / efficient / customer facing.............

Now fully retired, formerly public and private sector, military aeronautical and other. I have seen both efficiency and inefficiency in both sectors, sometimes extreme in both, but I have seen vituperative and unjustified criticism of alleged inefficiency by the media only of that alleged to be and to be pervasive in the public one. I have also never seen either efficiency nor effectiveness improved by outsourcing forced on a public sector activity by Ministerial fiat, rather than considered choice of its own management. I may be unreasonably prejudiced by having colleagues and comrades killed because of the latter.

Sometimes the alleged inefficiency in the public may be the result of legislation or required public accountability not imposed in the private.

Obviously, other Forumites' experience may be different
bogopper liked this
Charliesixtysix wrote:.... I am pleased to confirm that we have sufficient funding to cover all the successful claims in this first tranche...

Once all the first tranche claims have been assessed, we will make one payment to all recommended claims via BACS transfer. We are hoping to be able to do this early Summer.

Given all the initial fuss about claims being processed on a first come first served basis, I was expecting the CAA to make a BACS transfer as soon as a claim is recommended for payment, particularly as they have confirmed the EU funds are sufficient to cover all the successful first tranche claims.