Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cockney steve wrote:just to play Devil's Advocate.......
How long had they known the rebate was going to be available?

Applied July 2016, final negotiations October 2016. Criteria locked down in December 2016, Applications opened Feb 2017.
How long did they have to prepare a rebate-system (or adapt a proven. existing one)

Once you include Christmas holidays, probably about 6 weeks for the system to be created.
How long was the gestation period, for a form which rapidly proved unfit for purpose
About a week?
How long to make a system compatible with common computer software.

If you have the right system, and follow the instructions, it is compatible. :D
How long to establish a speedy, efficient internal processing and payment -system
Normally these take years to get right... So any system that works at all in this time scale would seem good. Note - they said no-one would get paid till the end of each tranche.
How long to pre-plan a "live" date then rush-out the bug infested offering, having kept a deafening silent channel of communication open, with the punters who have to finance their empire.

Since the channels of communication were always open, phone calls are being answered, some emails were answered within minutes, it looks pretty good to me!
Well? hardly a shining example of a dynamic, effective efficient organisation, is it?
Good thing the breweries aren't under their control :twisted:

We are in the middle of it at the moment - but I actually think that the team is doing a good job at the moment. Better than most big companies would do!
Last edited by riverrock on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanga liked this
I want to put a good word in for Bob, who seems to be the point guy at the CAA.

When filling out the form I realised I didn't have my customer ID number. I had the licence number OK, but as I've never had a renewal letter I had no note of my separate customer ID.

I emailed the CAA 833 email address.

Bob replied in just over an hour with my Cust ID.

It's nice to be dealing with someone who (a) is helpful, (b) is efficient, and (c) comes across as a human being.

Cheers,

Graham
ChampChump, riverrock, Straight Level and 3 others liked this
By ChampChump
Bob replied to my query after midnight. He's putting in the hours & may well be having to plod through the pile by himself, for all I know.

The CAA explained how the rebates would work. We're in the system. I'm not the most patient of people but in this case, I can't see what there's anything yet to complain about (apart from the 8.33 business to start with :evil: ). Cheer up, it's less than three weeks until we put the clocks forward.
kanga wrote:
MercianMarcus wrote:
In bureaucrat speak:
Swamped = 2 to 4
Inundated = 5 to 10
To busy to even try to categorise the horrendous magnitude of the work involved = greater than 10

Evidence ?

Interactions with bureaucratic institutions such as the CAA. Typically, full of very nice, yet somewhat hopeless, people who would not survive in business. Compare and contrast the process of getting a permit from the CAA and form the LAA. One is eye-wateringly painful and equivalent to eating a dead elephant with a single (broken) chopstick, while the other is acceptable.
MercianMarcus wrote:
kanga wrote:
MercianMarcus wrote:
In bureaucrat speak:
Swamped = 2 to 4
Inundated = 5 to 10
To busy to even try to categorise the horrendous magnitude of the work involved = greater than 10

Evidence ?

Interactions with bureaucratic institutions .., full of very nice, yet somewhat hopeless, people who would not survive in business. ..

ah, apologies :oops: . I failed to make clear in my genuinely curious question that it was asking whether you had any evidence to justify the precision (numbers and words) of that original posting. :roll:

[if it was meant only as a general, light-hearted, jibe at 'bureaucrats' as you have perceived them, then perhaps a smiley might have been apposite .. :) ]
By rikur_
MercianMarcus wrote:

Interactions with bureaucratic institutions .... full of very nice, yet somewhat hopeless, people who would not survive in business.

My limited experience of working on public sector projects is that the environment is more to blame than the individuals. In private sector I generally knew the owners, was trusted to make decisions, and outputs were what really mattered. My experience of public sector life has been that process is more important than outputs. Few people have any real delegated authority: e.g. I'm not allowed to get in the 'right' sub-contractor to do the job, I have to use a big company with a framework contract (but no relevant expertise)... Politicians kill my negotiating position with suppliers by publicly announcing commitments before the suppliers have signed up ... People get arbitrarily moved from the department to meet budget targets and then just when I think I'm about to deliver something, there's a ministerial reshuffle and the goal posts are completely moved. Then for a bit of good sport MPs convene a 'Select Committee' (institutionalised bullying in the form of a verbal flogging) to ridicule individuals who understand the topic, by a group of MPs intent on little more than setting up quotes for the newspapers. No wonder why many of the more able individuals move to areas where they are more able to put their skills to effective use....
kanga, cockney steve liked this
Robin500 wrote:
Straight Level wrote:"Depending on the volume of claims, the CAA will aim to contact you within
21 days of receipt of all your information"

34 days and counting :-)

Let us know when you receive your notification....

Nothing here since receipt of the holding email last month.... Anyone else heard more?