Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

When doing circuits, what height setting do you use on your altimeter?

QFE
65%
QNH
33%
RPS
No votes
0%
I don't look at the altimeter anyway
2%
I would welcome a convention of just one setting, QNH. My private strip is 90' AMSL. At the moment I set one altimeter (my QFE altimeter) to 0' and my Dynon altimeter to QNH, 90'. Adding the airfield elevation of, say, Old Sarum, 285' to the circuit height is not difficult and a QNH only system for airfields would lead to less confusion over which setting was being flown.
Last edited by jamespearce on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gertie wrote:
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:When I did my IMCR, QFE was never used.

I was under the impression that I could use QFE if I liked, but forgetting to change back to QNH on the go-around would then be an instant fail. So I too don't use QFE for instrument approaches.

Yes that and the reduction in workload for a missed approach meant I followed the instructors advice not to use QFE.
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
townleyc wrote:I was always taught to set QFE when visual with the airfield on rejoin, so not a problem in the circuit

You were probably taught to navigate only by stop watch and chart, but that doesn't mean you don't adopt other means if they make things simpler/safer.

The PPL is not only a licence to learn, it's also a licence to question and adapt.
Me too. Been doing it wrong for 32years apparantly. :roll:
It is usually southern flatlanders who want to get rid of QFE but those of use who live in the bumpy bits of the UK and fly from 990ft amsl airstrips prefer to keep it thank you!
By johnm
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Me too. Been doing it wrong for 32years apparantly. :roll:
It is usually southern flatlanders who want to get rid of QFE but those of use who live in the bumpy bits of the UK and fly from 990ft amsl airstrips prefer to keep it thank you!

Those who fly from 3000 ft strips don't have the option.
T67M liked this
By johnm
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Don't think there are many strips at 3000ft amsl in the UK :lol:

Here's me thinking flying procedures are international.... :roll:
T67M liked this
By SteveC
Shoestring Flyer wrote:Me too. Been doing it wrong for 32years apparantly. :roll:

Simple maths beyond you?