Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.

When doing circuits, what height setting do you use on your altimeter?

QFE
65%
QNH
33%
RPS
No votes
0%
I don't look at the altimeter anyway
2%
By allout
Please, could I vote for 'Both'?
I have a strong preference for flying with two altimeters, so in the circuit one on QFE and the other on QNH.
These days, when obliged to fly something with just one, I can generally muster an electronic alternative for the other.
(LK8000, for example, can sort out its own QFE entirely automatically)
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Like allout I use two altimeters, one for each setting.

I don't tend to ask for QFE I just wind off the airfield elevation which I either know by heart at regular haunts, or have taken the trouble to make a note of during planning. This also saves having to squint at the sub scale.

I was taught to use QFE in the circuit and always have done. I'm surprised and encouraged to see that the vote means it is still strongly supported.
It's a bit like that thing where "only true pilots fly taildraggers" and "true pilots only use QNH"
Last edited by flybymike on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick w liked this
By jayeff
If just doing circuits I set the altimeter to zero and go from there. I only use the altimeter to establish and maintain circuit height to base and don't look at it at all after mid-base. When joining the circuit I immediately set the QFE on initial call to avoid any faffing around later.
By Rob P
flyingeeza wrote:Not smart having everyone at exactly the same height in the circuit either really, when 20 feet could mean the difference between an "Oh shyte!" moment and a series of funerals.

Don't worry, the chances of my being at exactly circuit height are minimal.

Rob P
johnm, flyingeeza, Dave W and 4 others liked this
By mick w
" Not smart having everyone at exactly the same height in the circuit either really, when 20 feet could mean the difference between an "Oh shyte!" moment and a series of funerals. A little bit of natural separation goes a long way. "

Why on earth is it easier to spot someone anywhere in the Circuit , other than those at the same level , surely your scan takes into account some discrepancy in Altimeter accuracy . :?
riverrock wrote:Always provided with QFE (as well as QNH) at Prestwick if going into the circuit.
Always seems to be provided where ever I go.

rr is it really that critical at Prestwick?

At home base there's one hp difference, other than read it back I don't bother changing from QNH. Seldom set RPS.
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:When I did my IMCR, QFE was never used.

I was under the impression that I could use QFE if I liked, but forgetting to change back to QNH on the go-around would then be an instant fail. So I too don't use QFE for instrument approaches.
A le Ron liked this
By UV
Another vote for QNH.
Many airfields are under busy Class D airspace with 1500 ft ceilings. So in reality you shouldn't be above 1499 ft. For practical purposes we call it not above 1400 ft.
If the airfield elevation is 300 ft and the circuit height is 800 ft, you fly the circuit at 1100 ft which gives you an instant indication of how far below controlled airspace you are. Not far!
If you fly QFE you don't have this vital piece of information directly in front of you.
Hence QNH for me every time, everywhere.
T67M liked this
By Rob P
UV wrote: you fly the circuit at 1100 ft which gives you an instant indication of how far below controlled airspace you are. Not far!

Look I know that I said my height holding in the circuit wasn't brilliant, but I can't recall ever missing it by +400 ft, a 50% error. :shock:

Rob P
By rikur_
QNH/QFE depends where I am - most small strips OCAS I visit seem to give me a QFE, which works fine for me .... QNH seems the norm where controlled airspace is concerned (in it or below it), which is fine too....
RPS seems the dangerous one when below controlled airspace (not for circuits but more generally). I fully understand its role as a forecast for aircraft not talking to anyone .... but Warton giving me an RPS when I'm 4000ft below an airway at 4500ft is risking an infringement.