Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By EddieHeli
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Flying_john wrote:Whats an economical way to get there, Mineapolis or Chicago or Detroit . Is there a better day to fly out from the U.K. Perhaps its better to fly from UK to a more common US destination, then get an internal flight perhaps.

I would like to go, but it seems about double the cost of Sun n Fun.

What do others do ?

Check out going via Amsterdam, we saved about £300 each doing that one year from Newcastle to Minneapolis, albeit some time ago.

I think there were also savings to be had going Lufthansa via Frankfurt.

Also if you can get a cheap internal flight from Boston, Iceland air do some really good deals to the east coast, with a stopover in Iceland.
By richtyler
EddieHeli wrote:
Flying_john wrote:Also if you can get a cheap internal flight from Boston, Iceland air do some really good deals to the east coast, with a stopover in Iceland.

Also look at Norwegian to Boston, looking at the dates you can do return for £584 with luggage and jetblue from Boston to Chicago for $177, with an overnight in Boston due to the time the flight arrives.

If you go direct cheapest and easiest option looks like Aer Lingus with stop in Dublin and you can clear US immigration which is a huge time saver then direct to Chicago for £757 return.

One trick I've learnt with travelling to the US is book your rental car with your flights as you will normally get a pretty good saving versus booking separate. For instance I go over later this month managed to get an SUV for £70 for 10 on top of the price of the flights for me and my family versus £800 if I'd booked separately .
By Rob L
richtyler wrote:
One trick I've learnt with travelling to the US is book your rental car with your flights as you will normally get a pretty good saving versus booking separate. For instance I go over later this month managed to get an SUV for £70 for 10 on top of the price of the flights for me and my family versus £800 if I'd booked separately .

(my bold)

Eh? What is 10 on top?
Rob
By kanga
Rob L wrote:
richtyler wrote:
... to get an SUV for £70 for 10 on top of the price of the flights .. .

(my bold)

Eh? What is 10 on top?
Rob

[as no smiley ..]

I had assumed that rt had meant to write 'for 10 days' ..
By Rob L
So £70 for ten days care hire (on top of the flight cost)? Who was that with, Rich?
Rob

[edit: or do you mean £70 per day for ten days =£700?]
Last edited by Rob L on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Ben Twings
Car rental pre-booked in the UK will usually have insurance included at a much lower cost than paying over the counter on arrival. Typically US renters will decline as they are covered on their own car policy.
I've had good deals through Expedia (UK) in the past though there's lots of competition in the market.
By richtyler
Rob L wrote:So £70 for ten days care hire (on top of the flight cost)? Who was that with, Rich?
Rob

[edit: or do you mean £70 per day for ten days =£700?]

I booked it with BA at the same time as my flight, you can get similar savings booking hotel with the flight too. Also if you have a lot of Avios car's can be very reasonable to book, they use Avis so the cars are generally good quality, includes the following:

CUSTOMER FAC FEE
CONV CTR SUR
PARKING SURCHARGE
VEHICLE LICENSEE FEE
Additional Liability Insurance (ALI)
Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)
Unlimited Mileage

This is also the case if you use Avios points.

There are 5 of us travelling 2 adults 3 kids flight price was £1923.00 and with Ford Edge car was £1993.00
By Flying_john
For those that have been before, may I ask opinions on whether after a longish flight, probably arriving mid afternoon in Chicago, is it better to get in the hire car and drive the 2-3hrs to your accomodation in Oshkosh, or just take a room in an airport hotel and recover - before setting out the next day for the show ?
By Lefty
You should be ok driving straight after landing - unless you like to drink on the flight. I drove without a problem.

Why have the hassle of unpacking and packing unecessarily.
By Flying_john
If anyone else is having trouble finding accomodation for this year's Oshkosh, I have had to rent a house that will have two rooms more than I need and a share of the cost would be about $90 / night for a room (Twin or Double).

PM for details.

John
Last edited by Flying_john on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.