Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Video interview "Fairoaks Garden Village: What's going on at the community planning weekend?":
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/fairoaks-garden-village-whats-going-12525473

Architects call on community to help shape plans for Fairoaks Garden Village.

Community planning weekend Friday 24th February and Saturday 25th February at Chobham Village Hall including site visits.

The design team will then present back their vision for Fairoaks Garden Village on Wednesday 1st March at Chobham Village Hall.

That seems to be a carefully worded interview saying what the Fairoaks Garden Village is, (rather than what they hope it will be subject to council planning approval), with the community weekend to hear ideas and concerns before they draw up the plans. No plans being presented at the community weekend.
Nice idea to help them jump through some more hoops with the council in due course.
The way this is reported, it is like the village is a given and the airport will be going. Is that the case, or if not 100% certain, what is the likelyhood?

I do not know what the attitude of the locals is towards the airport vs a housing development (quaintly called a "village") with the attendant traffic increases.
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Could be a good weekend to have a fly-in to show interest in aviation use, combined with a visit to the village hall to have a chat with the architects.

If it is the airport OR village, then I'm not sure how much weight the architects will be giving those opinions - if they have been tasked with developing plans that is what they will do?
mo0g wrote:The way this is reported, it is like the village is a given and the airport will be going. Is that the case, or if not 100% certain, what is the likelyhood?

I do not know what the attitude of the locals is towards the airport vs a housing development (quaintly called a "village") with the attendant traffic increases.

I live in Chobham (well just outside to be honest). If you extend downwind for 06 left hand, you will pass over my house as you turn onto base leg.
From local feedback, I think the locals are opposed to this plan as are the parish council, but Surrey Heath Borough Council seem to be in favour as it will fulfil their 'obligation' re new housing.
Back in 2007/8 when Erinaceous tied to get planning permission for housing at Fairoaks it was turned down. We need to find out on what grounds and if these grounds still apply.
It would appear to e that the weekend presentations are an effort to brainwash the locals into thinking this will be a good idea.
When I was a controller at Farnborough, I participated in a similar exercise by TAG to convince the locals that the business airport model was a good idea. I was able to appease some of them living north east of the airfield by designing a noise abatement departure for Farnborough runway 06, so it might be possible to do something similar with Fairoaks traffic ie assuring the locals that if the airport stays, environmental problems will be addressed.
mo0g liked this
According to the Woking News and Mail:
"Surrey Heath Council failed in its bid for Fairoaks to be one of the first garden villages supported by the Government, but the airport owners are continuing with their plans for a large housing development. "

The airport owners only bought Fairoaks recently. I feel a Manston coming on.

The bureaucratic cock up of making airfields brownfield sites has a lot to answer for.
No airfields are safe.
mo0g liked this
chevvron wrote: When I was a controller at Farnborough, I participated in a similar exercise by TAG to convince the locals that the business airport model was a good idea. I was able to appease some of them living north east of the airfield by designing a noise abatement departure for Farnborough runway 06, so it might be possible to do something similar with Fairoaks traffic ie assuring the locals that if the airport stays, environmental problems will be addressed.

I predominantly fly during the week, early, and in my limited experience the airport is quiet, rarely anything in the circuit, and I usually have the airfield to myself on departure and return, so I'm not sure if there is much in the way of local residents complaining, but if there are I'm sure something like this would appease them. If I were them, I would much rather have the local airfield to a housing estate, no matter if they call it a village or oasis or ghetto.
mo0g wrote:The way this is reported, it is like the village is a given and the airport will be going. Is that the case, or if not 100% certain, what is the likelyhood?

It is not a given as it has to get through the planning process with the council.

Yes, they are talking about it like it is a given, which will make many people think it is a given and potentially conveniently forget about the subsequent consultation.

I commented about it in the other thread about the (Fairoaks) Garden Villages, that my friend read the newspaper headline about Fairoaks Garden Village and took it as an announcement that Fairoaks airport was going to be garden village.

Some people will need reminding it ought not to be a done deal.
mo0g wrote:...
I predominantly fly during the week, early, and in my limited experience the airport is quiet, rarely anything in the circuit, and I usually have the airfield to myself on departure and return, so I'm not sure if there is much in the way of local residents complaining, but if there are I'm sure something like this would appease them. If I were them, I would much rather have the local airfield to a housing estate, no matter if they call it a village or oasis or ghetto.

In that case, perhaps the general public objections to the garden village will focus on the impact on congestion/services for many many miles around (much further than might be expected from a "village").
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
In that case, perhaps the general public objections to the garden village will focus on the impact on congestion/services for many many miles around (much further than might be expected from a "village").

The road running past Fairoaks is already so badly congested on weekdays that Surrey County Council are already exploring ways of easing this present congestion. To have the additional load from 1500 houses added to this would need a major re-development of the road in addition to any proposals in the pipeline.
I've been in contact with our local County Councillor (who happens to sit on the roads and infrastructure committee ) and he says they will not consider this extra traffic until/unless planning permission is actually granted