Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By patowalker
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
... and in what aircraft? I have only had ATR500s with LCD screens under my bubble canopies, so can't compare with the OLED screen, but have see this
The ATR833 LCD has been derived from the ATR833 OLED transceiver with an LCD display for best sunlight readability and noticeably less power consumption - all this for an even more attractive price.
By DBo
I have the KRT2 installed in an RV-9A. We've been very pleased with it. We are using it with an external intercom because that is the way the previous radio was wired. My only gripe would be programming the memory. It's not intuitive, I have to sit there with the instructions, although if I had to do it often I'm sure I'd get better at it.
Last edited by DBo on Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Rod1
“How are you finding the Trig in use?”

It is a bit fiddley but ok.

“Any good or bad comments?”

Reception is good, we have had zero technical issues, documentation is good.

“Are you using the intercom facility?”

Yes we are. It is adequate and at least as good as the built in units from other manufacturers.

“When fitting in the Jodel did you split the unit and mount the radio itself remotely or what? “

Split – space in a Jodel with a front tank is very tight – it was probably the only solution without massive changes to other kit.

We have the transponder as well.

Rod1
I too have the Trig TY91 and my findings are similar. The main unit being mounted a couple of feet away from the 'Head' unit in the panel.
It does what it says on the tin and works perfectly using the internal intercom.
Yes the knobs are slightly fiddly only to be expected really in such a small unit, but nothing to give any concern.
My main gripe I suppose is that the screen, under a bubble canopy, even on its brightest setting is slightly less than ideal. I am though being really picky here.
Overall though I am very pleased with it.
By Buzz53
Shoestring Flyer wrote: My main gripe I suppose is that the screen, under a bubble canopy, even on its brightest setting is slightly less than ideal.

I'm about to buy one and was puzzled by this. Is it not an LCD screen in which case surely the more external illumination the better?
Alan
Buzz53 wrote:
Shoestring Flyer wrote: My main gripe I suppose is that the screen, under a bubble canopy, even on its brightest setting is slightly less than ideal.

I'm about to buy one and was puzzled by this. Is it not an LCD screen in which case surely the more external illumination the better?
Alan

As I said I am being really picky and it wouldn't stop me buying the TY91 again. For normal use it is fine.It is just on certain days I would like it a tad brighter.
I have the brightness setting on 'full'.

The Funk OLED screens are particularly poor for seeing on bright days which is the perhaps opposite of what one would think when first looking at that unit.
By Marvin
Shoestring Flyer wrote:
The Funk OLED screens are particularly poor for seeing on bright days which is the perhaps opposite of what one would think when first looking at that unit.

I rarely have a problem in the Europa with visibility of the OLED on the ATT833 but it is mounted low down in the panel and I don't have a full bubble canopy. If the suns in the wrong direction it can be difficult to see though.

I also have the trig transponder and the readability can also be affected by Direct sunlight.

Is there a radio/transponder that doesn't have that problem at a reasonable cost?

I just shade with my hand when I need to check.
By Kemble Pitts
This is really helpful feedback, thanks.

Its really the user interfaces that are most interesting as these are all very small units.

To answer some of your queries. Its going into a Jodel DR1051 (now with O-200) in place of a Narco 12D (I think!!). However, we will be re-working the metalwork below the instrument panel (where the current radio and i/c are) and so all wiring and local structure will be new (cos the existing stuff is horrid).

This also means we should have space for the combined unit rather than need to split the head from the radio. It will mount underneath the front tank.

Will have to loose the VOR sadly but I'm not willing to pay the extra for a new nav/com especially as they keep switching the VORs off anyhow.

Will be fitting a Garmin GTX 328 mode S transponder at the same time.

Thank God (or is that EASA & CAA) for the chance to spend lots of money for no benefit to myself!!
By Marvin
Will be fitting a Garmin GTX 328 mode S transponder at the same time.

I hope with ads-b out enabled as well?

I've had several people at my airfield say the same about replacing the VOR kit due to the number of VOR sites closing down. Unless your going for an IFR approval with the Jodel and need an approach capability below 1000 feet then a good GPS will suffice.
By T67M
Can the '328 even do ADS-B? Our 330 (non-ES) is currently being junked because it's cheaper to buy a new transponder than to upgrade it.

Edit: Just checked and the 328 is elementary Mode S only. No ADS-B. No upgrade path. I would suggest that the 330ES is the lowest spec transponder you should consider fitting these days.
IFly172 liked this
By Buzz53
Marvin wrote:I also have the trig transponder and the readability can also be affected by Direct sunlight.

Now I'm getting properly worried, as one of the Trigs was going in the glider. At present we have a Becker unit with LCD display that is just crystal clear in bright light, as I'd expect with an LCD. Looking again at the Trig brochure, I can now see that the display does seem to be backlit. Is it not visible without that? Power consumption is important in the glider so the last thing we want is to have a backlight permanently on full steam. I might need to take another look at the Funke in that case.

On another slant, I presume the acceptance of FAA avionics approvals, in today's other thread, means that the MGL radios can be added to the list? Mind you they sell for around 1000 dollars so might not be any cheaper than the rest in the UK. I always think their kit is clever but extremly tacky in presentation. Somebody once said "do you really want to spend all that money an end up with something that looks and feels like a cheap microwave"?

Alan
By Marvin
T67M wrote:Can the '328 even do ADS-B? Our 330 (non-ES) is currently being junked because it's cheaper to buy a new transponder than to upgrade it.

Edit: Just checked and the 328 is elementary Mode S only. No ADS-B. No upgrade path. I would suggest that the 330ES is the lowest spec transponder you should consider fitting these days.

Sadly I think you are right. From the Aircraft Spruce site:

Since the GTX-330 Mode S Transponder provides TIS (Traffic Information Services), EHS (Enhanced Mode S) functionality and transmits power that exceeds the requirement for VFR aircraft in Europe, the European GTX 328 does not offer TIS, EHS or ADS-B functionality.

Personally I would be fitting an ADS-B capable transponder of which there are many.

T67M our posts seem to have crossed :)
By Marvin
Buzz53 wrote:
Marvin wrote:I also have the trig transponder and the readability can also be affected by Direct sunlight.

Now I'm getting properly worried, as one of the Trigs was going in the glider. At present we have a Becker unit with LCD display that is just crystal clear in bright light, as I'd expect with an LCD. Looking again at the Trig brochure,

The trig is a good piece of kit and I am looking at fitting transponder and comm in a build I'm am currently doing.

If you can try and see one in the flesh on a bright day and see what you think. It's certainly not put me off the transponder and I have no problems with it in use or technically. Also easy to mount with the remote head and the avionics bit elsewhere more convenient.
By wigglyamp
T67M wrote:Our 330 (non-ES) is currently being junked because it's cheaper to buy a new transponder than to upgrade it..

The retail price to upgrade a GTX330 to a 330-ES is US $1300 (new price effective 1st Feb 2017) so I can't see why you'd want to ditch the existing 330 rather than pay for the upgrade? What ES transponder can you buy that's cheaper and doesn't require any labour to modify the installation?