Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By SteveC
G-BLEW wrote:
Ridders wrote:I shove a 3.5mm cable up my bose A20 audio input socket.
Might run a cable to the rear mic input so it's on the intercom instead.

I will give that a go - but I have a bit of a cockpit wire phobia…

Ian

Just discovered it works nicely with the Bluetooth Bose connected to the iPad.
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suspect the interoperability debate for the 'state' at least will come to an end later this week and those that wanted to and continue to deploy 'niche' functionality will be at liberty to continue. No doubt 'niche' functionality will continue to serve their perceived purpose in the short term although a Europe wide, state initiatiated initiative towards the deployment of ADS-B out and in, is what was always needed and is what is coming.
seanjd, gaznav liked this
By Ridders
SteveC wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:
Ridders wrote:I shove a 3.5mm cable up my bose A20 audio input socket.
Might run a cable to the rear mic input so it's on the intercom instead.

Ian

steve depends on what Bose you have. Some A20 (mine) only allow phone calls via Bluetooth. Some allow music streaming via Bluetooth. Yours will be the latter, I've attempted and failed to get SkyDemon to 'play' alerts etc via the Bose A20 I have despite being Bluetooth connected to the iPad. It's cos it only does phone calls.
By seanjd
Cub wrote:I suspect the interoperability debate for the 'state' at least will come to an end later this week and those that wanted to and continue to deploy 'niche' functionality will be at liberty to continue. No doubt 'niche' functionality will continue to serve their perceived purpose in the short term although a Europe wide, state initiatiated initiative towards the deployment of ADS-B out and in, is what was always needed and is what is coming.

Any more details on this, proposed dates etc :?:

Club has just decided what options to go for on 8.33 radios and I was pushing to go for ADS-B capability at the same time, but consensus was we don't need it so why waste money now :| Currently our three aircraft are Mode A/C only.
By seanjd
In respect of PAW, or any currently available low cost traffic awareness systems, I consider them to be a valuable safety addition to aid awareness.

What I am more interested to discover, is the traffic it picks up and shows that I have not spotted! I am sure I will be quite surprised by this.

The 'heads down' thoughts on this are misguided due to a lack of awareness IMHO.

If anyone who has used PAW, FLARM etc for any period of time would like to comment on how distracted and how much more time they spend 'eyes in' rather than 'eyes out', then I would really like to hear about their experiences :wink:
By gaznav
Hi Sean

I believe the issue is similar to that with just moving map GPS - some people stare at it for far too long whilst others use it as a back-up aid for when they need the reassurance of what they are looking at out of the window is actually where they are.

It's all about training I believe and use of tablet devices is not a requirement. However, a lot of these tablet-based in-flight apps are as complicated as your average glass cockpit - something that EASA-FCL requires as differences training and is known as EFIS. Personally, I think that EFIS differences training is too rigorous at present and could be slightly less onerous. But it is a risk that EASA have identified and felt the need to formalise the need for differences training.

I know we all have chatted on this forum about the introduction of GPS into the PPL syllabus. I believe we have moved on from that again and gadgets like PAW, SkyEcho or Stratux have upped the need again. If we don't train people how to use these safely then they will likely become contributory or aggravating factors to the causes of accidents - on take off, landing or in the cruise when they distract people from more pressing matters.

Best

Gaz
Last edited by gaznav on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
By gaznav
PS. Have only ever used basic FLARM. This is all the display you get in the eye-line and a very basic 'beep' to gather your attention. Interpretting where you need to look takes well less than a second:

Training by an experienced individual took 20 minutes on the ground.
By SteveC
Ridders wrote:
SteveC wrote:
G-BLEW wrote:

Ian

steve depends on what Bose you have. Some A20 (mine) only allow phone calls via Bluetooth. Some allow music streaming via Bluetooth. Yours will be the latter, I've attempted and failed to get SkyDemon to 'play' alerts etc via the Bose A20 I have despite being Bluetooth connected to the iPad. It's cos it only does phone calls.

That's interesting. Mine is brand new work issued this week. My personal one is not Bluetooth so I on,y ever used the cable.

Perhaps you can get Bose to do an update for you?
By Paul_Sengupta
SteveC wrote:Perhaps you can get Bose to do an update for you?

You can if you bung them $300 for a new lead/box/microphone assembly.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/bosea20access.php?clickkey=622258

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/july/24/bose-adds-bluetooth-to-a20

The other option, which starts to look like an explosion in a Maplin shop ( ;-) ) is to just connect in a bluetooth receiver to the wired input. There's one here which is even sold as being for the Bose headset! :D

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/bluetooth-music-input-for-bose-headsets.html