Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By G-JWTP
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Decided on aviation today,

I braved the cold and the fairly ropey vis for an hour.

Ended up at Henstridge and was given a very warm welcome.

Exceptionally friendly club house, pleasant atmosphere with very nice people and a reasonable lunch.

What else could you ask for!

Well done.

G-JWTP
By Flying_Anorak
Just be aware that some of the taxiway surfaces are poor - I flew in there in my Grob 109B there last year and whilst re-positioning prior to shutdown (at request of A/G operator) I picked up a stone that severely damaged one prop blade.
By Boxkite
The north side taxiways are as good as new (and much is fairly new). The south side hard surface parking area near the clubhouse (old runway) admittedly is not the best, but the grass parking area can be entered and exited directly off the runway without taxing on the hard parking area at all.
By Lefty
Alexw82 wrote:Visited today. Lovely field and nice cafe.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS on the south side parking. I have my first nasty stone injury to the prop now! :cry:

We've been complaining about that on this forum for more than 10 years - and still nothing is done.
On one club visit we had 8 of our 10 aircraft suffer prop damage. These days, if we visit, we try to park and taxy exclusively on the grass, but this isn't always possible.
By Rob L
Lefty wrote:
Alexw82 wrote:Visited today. Lovely field and nice cafe.

BE VERY CAUTIOUS on the south side parking. I have my first nasty stone injury to the prop now! :cry:

We've been complaining about that on this forum for more than 10 years - and still nothing is done.
On one club visit we had 8 of our 10 aircraft suffer prop damage. These days, if we visit, we try to park and taxy exclusively on the grass, but this isn't always possible.

Get something with more prop clearance? Or don't go there?

Rob
By Alexw82
It's not such a problem of clearance but the condition of the surface on close inspection it's basically gravel!

They should caution visitors when they PPR and or have a caution in pooleys etc.

I've used rough strips in Scotland and never had a problem with the Saratoga the three blade prop gives good clearance.
Jetblu liked this
By Lefty
Alexw82 wrote:It's not such a problem of clearance but the condition of the surface on close inspection it's basically gravel!

They should caution visitors when they PPR and or have a caution in pooleys etc.

I've used rough strips in Scotland and never had a problem with the Saratoga the three blade prop gives good clearance.

I'm the same - A Cherokee six with a 3 blade - so stacks of ground clearance.
Jetblu liked this
By Bob Upanddown
Rob L wrote: Or don't go there?
Rob

I don't think I have for at least 10 years, if not more. It isn't worth the prospect of serious damage.

I know two aircraft that suffered very bad damage from stones. One needed a new prop on return to home airfield. I think the guy was lucky the propeller tip didn't come off on the long trip back.
I can only remember flying in once and I thought a couple of work experience lackeys with brooms and shovels would have made a significant improvement. Maybe the surface has deteriorated even more. It's a shame as it sounds like a nice place to go.

Instead, when I venture South I will be frequenting Goodwood more often once they complete their eyewateringly expensive improvements.
Barcli liked this
By G-AFZP
I only ever went there once and that was in 2011. It was mid-week and there was only one human being in residence on the south side manning the radio. Cafe was shut and there was precisely one sandwich and one packet of crisps left in the vending machine. My mates had them and I went hungry. As we were getting ready to go, two locals arrived and remarked that "someone has had the last sandwich"! I was quite lucky in that the prop damage that I incurred was relatively slight and the engineers managed to file it out. I never went back.
Barcli liked this