Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Is the smiley the svelte half after drinking the other case of wine that there was not enough space to stow in the aircraft? haha

Well, she does like a decent wine....and natuarally bubbly, of course... but I have to say I would happily help in sampling a case of decent bordeaux.. 8)
By rikur_
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:This sounds like a situation where a larger number of members can work well. The less active members can still fly. The more active members in effect fly more cheaply as the total fixed costs get spread across more members in the monthlies. Similarly if there is a change of mandatory equipage or a big bill, the more members the merrier.

But also the overheads of a continuous stream of people who want to sell their share, which can involve several flights with prospective buyers, paperwork when one buys, check flights for those annoying syndicate members that fly just outside your currency rules, etc.
By Paul_Sengupta
skydriller wrote:Hmm...I'll let you tell my lovely that... :lol:

No one needs to lose weight and the dog can come along, you just need to tell your other half that she must take along fewer clothes.

If you're too scared to tell her, I'll do it! :D

Or get a Bulldog...

Aeroplane I mean, not a replacement for the sausage thingie.
skydriller, Stu B, Rob P liked this
By Melanie Moxon
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
Melanie Moxon wrote:.... have had a high turn over of new syndicate members, typically it seems that they think they are going to fly more than they do and then decide to sell. Which is impacting Paul's ability to practice for his national aerobatics competitions. Sadly I can't buy him out as I don't have the captial available.

This sounds like a situation where a larger number of members can work well. The less active members can still fly. The more active members in effect fly more cheaply as the total fixed costs get spread across more members in the monthlies. Similarly if there is a change of mandatory equipage or a big bill, the more members the merrier.

It can and it continues to do so quite nicely, in the few years that I have been in the syndicate neither the propeller overhaul nor the fitment of the 8.33 radio necessitated a cash call. The problem comes with Paul vetting new pilots (outside of the instructor sign off for the CS prop) and the syndicate rule of "if you haven't flown for a month or more then you fly with the cheif pilot for a few circuits" You can imagine Pauls frustrations when he needs to do maintenance on his Edge or practice for an Aero comp and the first good day in a month four people turn up wanting their circuit session.
By Boxkite
Sounds like your group rules need to change then Melanie, but if Paul agrees with it as it is and doesn't want change then he is making a rod for his own back and really can't complain. What would they do if they didn't have an instructor in the group? Then it would really get awkward trying to find an external instructor every month plus.
The month rule is too short in my opinion. I used to rent from a school with a 30 day rule, and so, because of their charges, used to plan to fly every month at least. Problem was when the monthly booking was weathered off and had to be rescheduled for the following week and I had to book an instructor before my planned flight which added £100 to my £160 -180 solo leisure hour.
rikur_, flybymike, T67M liked this
By skydriller
Boxkite wrote:The month rule is too short in my opinion.

If I was in your group the chances are Id need a checkout every time I got back from a work trip. Luckily our aeroclub has a 60 day rule. After a long work trip, I have a what I call a "shakedown" flight by myself before flying with anyone else.

Regards, SD..
rikur_, Stu B, T67M liked this
By Melanie Moxon
It’s his bird, he makes the rules. As minor shareholders (Paul has 55%) we get no say. I can’t complain, I knew what I was signing up for when I handed over my money and signed the contract. For me personally that rule was never a concern because when I decided to go down the share route in order to break even over renting I knew I’d need to fly twice a month as a minimum to break even on an aircraft with similar cruise speed etc. and knowing that any likely abstinences from flying would (as has been recently) only medical related.

You pay your money, you make your choice. When I bought the share I had a choice of two syndicates both at the same airfield, both offering a T67M Firefly (I would have had to commute from Hull to Wickenby) for the next nearest shareoplane) and in the end G-BKTZ, its share being £1000 less, the monthly subs being £45 less and the hourly rate being £15 less than the other aircraft made the choice for me and it has been the correct choice, it is a shame it is coming to an end but hey-ho, time to move on.