Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By gaznav
Oh no, that's bad. It says it took off from Turweston? I live 3 miles from the airfield and the weather has been awful all day. So I am surprised to hear that a light aircraft was even flying in this nasty weather.

It says it crashed near Aston Rowant which is close to Stokenchurch where the Chilterns start to rise. I would surprised if the tops of the Chilterns weren't out in cloud.

RIP to those involved.
By Rob P
Just travelled by road from Swindon back to Norfolk. I would have hated to be flying at any point in that trip. Certainly not VFR.

Sad news.

Rob P
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Certainly not VFR
..or VMC

Why do people come up with this when the weather is rubbish. Until we know the pilots qualifications and what he was trying to do I would have thought that irrelevant, we drove S to North today and can only think that he was instrument qualified and aiming to fly somewhere using his qualifications.
ratman, Andrew Sinclair liked this
By Dave Phillips
gaznav wrote:
It says it crashed near Aston Rowant which is close to Stokenchurch where the Chilterns start to rise. I would surprised if the tops of the Chilterns weren't out in cloud.

If you're driving along the M40 towards London the nature reserve is the land immediately either side of the motorway as is climbs through the cutting towards Stokenchurch mast.

Last edited by Dave Phillips on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
My intention was to point out that as a VFR pilot only I would not have wanted to be flying, but didn't want to malign the victim who might well have been fully qualified to cope with the conditions I have driven through.

Better now Foxmoth?

Rob P
Barcli, neilmurg liked this
By vintage ATCO
I passed Stokenchurch at 13:30 heading for Oxford. Cloud was right on the tops of the hills, thick fog for a mile or so until you dropped down to the north. I then saw a RH22 beetling along below the cloud base
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It did clear up around that time. But having nearly suckered myself into Chilterns vs. aircraft a couple of times, I shall be very interested to see if the cause is not weather.
By Low Approach
Plenty people take of to do IFR flights from Leicester or Turweston, and alike - or come back to land - because local ceiling is high enough.
Lets hope this wasn't one of those "I have to get home before Monday" type of flights :(
Last edited by Low Approach on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By hatzflyer
If anyone knows who this was can you please PM me. I have a friend that I suspect it could be. I promise not to disclose any names to anyone else .