Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Socky came here for advice and opinion because he wasn't sure. He clearly didn't expect this thread to explode in the way it has, however, his last post here said he was going to speak to his instructor based on this thread and then respond accordingly.

The outcome of that conversation may well be that the instructor realises he needs to re-think and this low hour student may well "educate" his instructor into being a little less complacent. Socky could well achieve what everyone is demanding, without the CAA being involved and without trial and torture.

I'm going to make a suggestion that we leave this to socky for now. He seems smart enough to do the right thing, if he wasn't he wouldn't have posted in the first place!
Miscellaneous, Dave W, T67M and 9 others liked this
As Satco has contributed to the debate which has identified the airfield perhaps a little word in the ear of the CFI of the club would put this matter to bed.
As the student has by his own admission being doing groundschool for 3 months did he skip the mode C section and doesn't he have briefings after the lesson?
Surely that would be the time to bring it up
By flybymike
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
metro99 wrote:As Satco has contributed to the debate which has identified the airfield perhaps a little word in the ear of the CFI of the club would put this matter to bed.
As the student has by his own admission being doing groundschool for 3 months did he skip the mode C section and doesn't he have briefings after the lesson?
Surely that would be the time to bring it up

I presume by Satco that you mean Satcop.

I haven't read anything which confirms that he represents the ATC unit in question, and indeed recall a post which suggests he does not. I believe the OP has already indicated that there is no "CFI' and that the instructor is a sole operator.

However, I ain't going to reread the whole thread to see if my memory is right.
By flybymike
I said I wasn't going to read the thread again, but hey ho. All I can find from Cub about identification of the airfield is the phrase;

I suspect the SATCO from the airfield involved has contributed to the thread

I dont know from that remark who the Satco is, or the ATC unit in question.
If the airfield has already been identified on the thread then which one is it?
Talkdownman wrote.

Sandtoft is the only 7010 SSR code procedure I have found in the UK AIP so far.

The Fairoaks AIP entry states

Inbound aircraft and circuit traffic should squawk 7010 when operating in the Fairoaks circuit and ATZ/LFA unless otherwise instructed.
By johnm
We had a very simple question from an intelligent and thoughtful student who looks well set to become an asset to GA in due course and a positive contributor to these pages.

The answer was equally simple. "If you have a transponder use it and make sure that Mode C/S is operating when airborne unless there's a good reason to switch a facility off that doesn't increase safety risk "

So why 10 pages of assorted grumpiness?
Thumper, riverrock, Ben K liked this
Perhaps now is a good time to quote EASA Implementing Regulations for SERA?

COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2016/1185
of 20 July 2016 amending Implementing Regulation (EU) No 923/2012
as regards the update and completion of the common rules of the air and operational provisions regarding services and procedures in air navigation (SERA Part C) and repealing Regulation (EC) No 730/2006

SERA.13001 Operation of an SSR transponder
(a) When an aircraft carries a serviceable SSR transponder, the pilot shall operate the transponder at all times during flight, regardless of whether the aircraft is within or outside airspace where SSR is used for ATS purposes.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 003.01.ENG

The CAA seem to be a bit behind the drag having not acknowledged this amendment to the original SERA regulation ((EU) No 923/2012) and, there being no CAA notified and or issued Permission or Exemption from SERA 13001, it appears to me to be against the law not to have a transponder switched on, if fitted.

Spreading the Love

Dave P :)
johnm, ZOGman, Ben K and 1 others liked this
Alastair wrote:Talkdownman wrote.

Sandtoft is the only 7010 SSR code procedure I have found in the UK AIP so far.

The Fairoaks AIP entry states

Inbound aircraft and circuit traffic should squawk 7010 when operating in the Fairoaks circuit and ATZ/LFA unless otherwise instructed.

Inbound GA into North Weald must squawk 7010.
By Dave W
flyingeeza wrote:Inbound GA into North Weald must squawk 7010.

(My bold). That's not quite what the Pooley's plate says (there's no AIP entry):

Pooley's wrote:Flights without reference to Essex or Farnborough Radar may be made subject to
the following:

• Remain VFR;
• Remain below 1500 ft ALT (1179 ft QFE);
• Aircraft are equipped with Mode C or S Transponder;
• When in contact squawk 7010.

Again, my bold.

Having read that, I would expect to be told if they wanted me to squawk a particular code - I wouldn't do it as a matter of course.
By The Admin Team
FLYER Team Member  FLYER Team Member
A number of posts making personal attacks have been edited out of this thread.

For neatness and to avoid tit for tat so have a number of responses to those posts.

The thread debate and balance between just culture and the responsibilty to point out poor practice is a worthwhile one and so the thread is still open, for as long as it stays civil this time.
T67M, johnm, Ben K and 3 others liked this
By leiafee
For context on the "fear of prosecution" side, the only only last year for flying in controlled airspace was a helicopter pilot in Heathrow's zone who flew in (and out again after lunch) to land at a restaurant!

He kept his license and was fined £1700...

The year before that here were 2

Year before that, 2 again one which didn't in fact have a valid license and one which was the same helicopter pilot as above.

CAA prosecutions are publically available
https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/About-us ... secutions/

It's pretty much certain that it'sonly the wilful ones that get prosecuted.

But turning off your transpoder certainly seems likely to be taken as "wilful".
Mike Tango liked this