Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By flyingeeza
Two flights in Pee Kay today Dave!
Mandy took us for her first flight as PIC since the pipe popped off, and after that Mike L and I went cloud dodging. Fun afternoon aloft above the snowy white clouds in the sunshine. Dead calm back in the circuit it was too.
Pleased to report that the 0-360, or is it an O-360, or it might even be an O-320, but whatever it is, it's okay and it's running sweet as a nut. :twisted: :D 8)
:thumleft:
kanga liked this
By flyingeeza
Cessna57 wrote:That's not helping !!! :lol:

I drove to Yorkshire today and then fixed a boiler.

Definitely not as enjoyable !

By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna57 wrote:Aargh, still waiting to post on this thread after being ill enough to sign myself off non flyable for about 10 days in January and then being thwarted by high winds or cloud the other times I have tried.

I was getting distinct cabin fever! The one good weekend I'd been in North Wales way away from the aeroplane.

I was concerned if the state of the ground would thwart me yesterday but that's an advantage of lovely tiny microlights! "Meh so I use 200m instead of 100m to get off...."

:D
kanga liked this
By nkt2000
First flight of the year was on 21 Jan. Weather was a bit cloudy but ok although there was a bit of bad vis offshore. Flew from Aberdeen north via Inverurie lane to Banff. Fraserburgh and back via the Peterhead lane. Did a PFL just south of the Moray coast. Was quiet please with it. Upset a S92 inbound front the North Sea as he reported to ATC that I was on a collision course at 5 miles. ATC told him I would probably be turning south any time, which I would have but decided to do an orbit to let him get well ahead of me. Advised ATC of my intentions. Didn't see any activity at Longside on the way past.

A bit hazy on approach to Aberdeen and couldn't see the airport until about 10 miles but could see the radar head ok. It was actually just the low sun reflecting off a bit of haze. Vis was actually 10+.

When I was filling in my log book I realised that is was only 2 minutes short of 100 hours TT. If I had realised I would have throttled back a bit. Good excuse for the next flight.
By skydriller
nkt2000 wrote: Upset a S92 inbound front the North Sea as he reported to ATC that I was on a collision course at 5 miles..

Collision risk at 5 miles...both of you talking to ATC...Really?

Am I the only one thinking that would be about what, 2-3 minutes to avoid the "risk of collision". Definitely a near miss there, then...
By Paul_Sengupta
nkt2000 wrote:When I was filling in my log book I realised that is was only 2 minutes short of 100 hours TT. If I had realised I would have throttled back a bit. Good excuse for the next flight.

Do you keep logs to that accuracy? I round all my flights to the nearest 5 mins!

skydriller wrote:Am I the only one thinking that would be about what, 2-3 minutes to avoid the "risk of collision". Definitely a near miss there, then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLlUgilKqms

skydriller liked this
By nkt2000
skydriller wrote:
nkt2000 wrote: Upset a S92 inbound front the North Sea as he reported to ATC that I was on a collision course at 5 miles..

Collision risk at 5 miles...both of you talking to ATC...Really?

Am I the only one thinking that would be about what, 2-3 minutes to avoid the "risk of collision". Definitely a near miss there, then...

Yes, and he was the give way aircraft. Wonder what he would have done if I maintained my course. We were both visual with each other and both VFR. Probably taken his ball home. :shock:

I have always been taught to log accurate times in my logbook. However, the group rules are that we declare times to the nearest 5 minutes for billing. Makes the figures a lot easier.

PS Although I and the S92 were talking to Aberdeen Radar, we were both in Class G airspace.
By joe-fbs
At last,today my first pure fun flight of 2017. All flying is fun, obviously, but all I have managed since 27th December is two instrument refresher and revalidation trips, one on 16th Feb and one on 24th March. It's not all been weather or aeroplane being unserviceable, we have had a lot of 50th birthdays this year using up our weekends! Anyway, finally today, availability of me and the aeroplane and weather coincided and I did an hour & a quarter rectangle to the north of our new shareoplane base at Turweston. I even did a Birmingham zone crossing, Studley to Draycote looking a lot safer than threading around the various glider sites in that area.

2017 has started!
By Melanie Moxon
Managed to get 3 hrs 45 minutes in the logbook over the weekend, nothing flash mind just a couple of local stooges on my own to check out my new NVIDIA tablet and Garmin camera and a flight with some friends on Sunday. It was a cracking weekend to be honest, not sure my wallet will thank me though :shock:

I saw my first gyroplane on Sunday too as I was flying from Malton to Scarborough, Humberside Radar gave me an advisory that there was some traffic in front of me, with no height information at first I thought it was a microlight but it was too small, it wasn't until I was passing it (about a mile to his port side and 500ft above) that it became obvious that it was a gyroplane.
By ChrisT
I had my first flights of 2017 yesterday, trip from Norfolk to Durham Tees Valley and back. Had great flights, first time into a full ATC field, first time being 'handled', saw my parents and brother, and revalidated my nppl too!
AfricanEagle liked this
By GolfHotel
cotterpot wrote:All my flights are in decimals - does that mean I can't leave the EU? :wink:

Is that to the nearest 6 mins or the nearest 36 seconds?