Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AvidyneSteve
Dear All, First of all Happy New Year.
I wondered if the forum members would be interested in attending an evening with me, Steve G from Avidyne where I can present the virtues of the new IFD 540 and IFD440 Com/Nav GPS systems. I will have full working demonstration systems to operate and learn and give a full presentation on their capabilities. If you area interested what would the general consensus be to hold the evening or afternoon or morning I do not mind.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We should be getting an IFD440 fitted to our shareoplane in about three weeks' time. Whilst this might make it a bit late for a demo, we might be interested in some "how to get the most out of it" training so we can demonstrate it to the best effect when showing off to other potential purchasers.
By Iceman
Hi Steve

Any news on 10.2 ?

Iceman 8)
(Mark Saunders - myself and Colin Ridout met you at Friedrichshafen, 540 now fitted and operational within the TB20).

Last edited by Iceman on Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By seanjd
Hi
Where are you based?
Would be interested as my club is currently looking at avionics upgrades for 3 aircraft, with Avidyne 'kit' being an option.
We are based at Blackpool.

Sean
By BlackheathBloke
I'd be interested too, BA have already mentioned an upgrade to Avidyne as good value.

I'm more thinking about the point (in your opinion anyway) at which it becomes a case of polishing a turd, when it comes to the age and value of the airframe you'd be putting it in. 8)
By alexbrett2
I'd be interested - looking to get LPV capability at some stage this year, and currently need to decide whether to just upgrade my current GNS 430 to a 430W, or trade it in and pay a bit more to go to e.g. an IFD 440...
By Bob Upanddown
I would be interested in seeing some working versions up close as I am yet to be convinced to change from my GNS430 to anything touch-screen as I much prefer knob-twiddling. I have seen many aircraft like mine with an old 430 and even older King kit as box 2. I am seriously considering a 750 and 650 fit but hate the idea of operating Garmin's menus and touch-screens with my old fingers that struggle to register on an i-pad or many other tablets.
I would also like to ask a few questions as my avionics guru says it isn't a simple box-swap

How about a fly-in venue one lunchtime? Plenty of places like Old Sarum promoting themselves that might be a venue?
By Iceman
The Avidyne IFD kit can be controlled by good old 'button pushing' as well as by touch screen. Once software 10.2 is released, you will also have the option of remote control of the 440 / 540 via an iPad app (Wifi). There is also a remote control keypad available that communicates with the unit via Bluetooth.

Iceman 8)
By GAFlyer4Fun
I would be interested. Blackbushe/Fairoaks are my nearest GA airfields.

If a venue is near an approved installer, perhaps an installer might like to participate as well?
(Selecting kit is one thing, selecting an installer is a whole new can of worms for some of us).
By African Skies
I'm evaluating potential upgrades for my Commander. I'm looking at Garmin or Avidyne kit and this would be absolutely perfect for getting a feel for the most suitable equipment. I've mostly discounted fitting GNS gear and I reckon control of the GTN stuff would be a touch difficult in anything but smooth air.
By T67M
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:I would be interested. Blackbushe/Fairoaks are my nearest GA airfields.

My shareoplane is based at Redhill, not too far from you, and will have an IFD440 installed during January so will be available for inspection from late Jan/early Feb.
GAFlyer4Fun liked this
By Jonzarno
I reckon control of the GTN stuff would be a touch difficult in anything but smooth air.

No, I have had a 750/650 setup for two years now and it's perfectly ok. There's a bezel you can rest fingers on while operating the touch screen or you can use the knobs. I think the IFDs are similar but I have no direct experience.
By Lefty
As per Jonzarno - there is absolutely no problem operating the touch screen even in turbulence. You quickly develop the technique of resting a thumb or other finger on the bezel and pushing the buttons.

In fact I would go so far as to say it is easier than twiddling knobs as to twiddle knobs you need at least 2 fingers and you are usually trying to do this with your arm extended and unsupported - which means that in turbulence, your fingers are frequently knocked off the knobs.
By Lefty
AvidyneSteve, I am sure we could drum up a fair number of interested potential purchasers if you wanted to give talk / demo at White Waltham.