Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
10.2 now installed in my TB20 and slightly annoyingly, it scrubbed the Nav data, charts and obstacle databases in the process. I'll now have to reload those.

The IFD training app has now been updated for 10.2 and now requires you to enter your Jeppessen user ID and password for database downloads.

The IFD100 app has been posted to the App Store but is not yet available for download.

Iceman 8)
By AvidyneSteve
Iceman wrote:10.2 now installed in my TB20 and slightly annoyingly, it scrubbed the Nav data, charts and obstacle databases in the process. I'll now have to reload those.

The IFD training app has now been updated for 10.2 and now requires you to enter your Jeppessen user ID and password for database downloads.

The IFD100 app has been posted to the App Store but is not yet available for download.

Iceman 8)

You do not need to enter your Jeppesen details. When you first load up the app it will goto the login screen. Without entering any details just press the login button in the bottom right hand corner and it will take you to the demo software downloads page. Just choose each download to be installed. Of course these are just demo data but it is for training purposes only.
If you have a Jeppesen subscription then you can enter your details and you will get the current databases available, it does not count as part of your subscription downloads.
Have fun.
By Iceman
The issue that I mentioned above about losing databases on loading firmware 10.2 wasn't quite true. When I looked this weekend, it transpired that the Nav and obstacle databases just required their normal regular update, the installer misinterpreting the 'database expired' message for 'database gone'.

Flying with 10.2 for the first time this weekend, I did see a couple of anomalies that I hadn't seen before. I got a 'GPS signal lost' status for about three minutes over central Devon and the unit has started losing the preset comms frequencies, neither of which I had experienced prior to the 10.2 upgrade. I will continue to monitor.

The IFD100 app is now available for download.

Iceman 8)
By Iceman
A GPS dropout on a recent flight prompted the return of my IFD540 to Avidyne after its logs were extracted for analysis. An IFD550 is being installed as a replacement.

Iceman 8)
G-BLEW liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
What with 8000 aircraft to upgrade I cant imagine Avidyne Steve chasing a few people here n there. It is not as if there was a massive response on this thread although people may have contacted him directly.

He does respond if you contact him directly by email rather than post to this thread and wait for a response as I dont think he is a regular on the forum.
I found him to be enthusiastic, helpful and happy to demo for just our humble syndicate, offering to tailor a demo to what we wanted at relatively short notice as the diaries lined up nicely before the February price rises.

Having said that I would have thought they would want to target flying schools and rental organisations rather than sole-pilot/group owners. i.e. get their kit established in the familiar training/rental fleet as some pilots will want to stick with familiar avionics rather than learn the differences/quirks of every kind of 8.33kHz radio out there as they come across them, with variations depending on what other kit the radio is connected to behind the panel.