Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Thumper
So, club house discussion was wondering what the engineering support is like on these rallies. Vintage ownership can require extra levels of tlc so be curious to know what provision is in place, especially for those 'what if' scenarios......
Generally amongst the crews there is a fair amount of knowledge, and we carry 20kgs of spares in support planes for each team. Then there is the local expertise (we're stopping at lots of local flying clubs along the route).

That's it!
Thumper liked this
By Aerotech Flyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks for spotting me in there Dave. I also saw Ricardo and gave him a like as it would be wonderful see him waxing lyrical about his adventure on U2U.
As you can guess from the many trip reports I have posted on the forum over the years, this opportunity to fly in the rally is a dream beyond anything I could hope and I am determined that I shall at least give it my best shot to get a place.
If Rob Doherty and I are lucky enough to get on, you can be assured we keep you all updated on our progress. Whichever aircraft we might finally take, I think we might have to name it "Spirit of Keef" in a certain someone's honour!
If Sam reads this, I have a hunch he may already be a Maule fan, but I would like to ask him about how much weight is given to the "vintage" element now that so many people are applying with later 60s and 70s aircraft. We are looking at a couple of 1940s types if needed, but should we be concentrating on that as being a "clincher"?
Finally if there any forumites who know me or would like to support Rob and my bid to take part in the rally, please go to our video application on the vintage site as detailed by Sam https://www.facebook.com/VintageAirRally/
and look for Steve Clark and Rob Doherty's video. I'm afraid it's become a bit like Xfactor for pilots :wink: so you will need to like it and share it to make your support count.
Thanks again and good luck to the other hopefuls
Cheers Steve
Dave W, Rob P, AfricanEagle and 1 others liked this
HI AF,

I am a Maule fan, but biplanes are preferred. It's a bit simplistic, but we look at the whole package - thus if the story (the people) is great, then the choice of plane is less important. As the story becomes less attractive, the choice of plane becomes more of a factor. Hope that makes sense?

Taking a little piece from here: http://www.vintageairrally.com/rallies/ ... shuaia2usa

The successful teams will be chosen on the basis of many criteria, including but not limited to:

Personal experience and background (on the ground and in the air) – what’s YOUR story?
    Type of aircraft, and tell us more about it.
    Ability to spread the word about the VintageAirRally – we need exposure for our sponsors, how can you help?
    Ability to raise sponsorship for the VintageAirRally – we need their support; how can you help?
    Ability to generate celebrity endorsement for the VintageAirRally – we need exposure for our sponsors and this is a great way to do it.
    Anything else you can/want to bring to the VintageAirRally and its sponsors/supporters.

So, as any aspect gets stronger, other aspects can be weaker (though the more you have that's strong, the better, clearly).

Helpful? 10 days until applications close, and it's currently wide open.

Grit and Glory! Sam.
Aerotech Flyer liked this
By Aerotech Flyer
Hi Guys, final push is now upon us before the cut off deadline on next Wednesday.
I have been very grateful for the support of many of you, plus the extra weight (so to speak) of Bossman Mr Seager himself, which I would hope to repay through recording the event. However, I have been very overwhelmed this evening to discover that dambuster "Johnny" Johnson has given me his support, which is very humbling. I have met this fabulous and thoughtful gentleman through being a member of RAFA and I cannot stress how much this would mean to me now to take part.
Thanks again for all your support.
Steve Clark
AF :salut:
Paul_Sengupta, Adrian, Dave W and 4 others liked this
By AfricanEagle
Aerotech Flyer wrote: I also saw Ricardo and gave him a like as it would be wonderful see him waxing lyrical about his adventure on U2U.

Thanks Steve :-)

This is my video presentation. Please don't laugh. I am not capable of making /editing videos so had to do it all in one breath :-)

Dave W, kanga liked this
By Aerotech Flyer
Good luck Riccardo,
It would be great if we both could get a place.

To the rest of our Flyer Friends:
Rob and I have just put up our second video as suggested by the Rally team. We are trying to pull all the stops in our efforts and leaving nothing to chance. I am hoping that all Rob's FAA and EASA inspection authorisations and licences will come in handy for the rally, but you have to get passed this kissing babies and pressing the palm stage. It's akin to standing for a general election!
Thus, we need your support! Help us to entertain you with our antics next March and I am sure there will be antics with me and Rob in an aircraft!
Please like and share our video:

Cheers AF :salut:
AfricanEagle, ianfallon liked this
By A le Ron
Sam Rutherford wrote:At the risk of taking an unserious thread seriously...

Biplanes only!

Cheers, Sam.

My twin Comanche has two engines. Does that count?