Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By AfricanEagle
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I knew I never stood a chance: a plain vanilla C172 is not interesting enough, even if it is La Iena. :(

Sent in the video just to help create momentum for the event (I think mine was 15th out of 200 videos for number of visualizations).

Anyway, yes, now I can maybe organize a Raduno 2018 :wink:
Rob P, Charles Hunt, skydriller and 5 others liked this
Commiserations to all those who weren't selected. We'd love to take everyone, but that would need a bunch more sponsors! Thank you to everyone for your support - and please keep watching as we take on the next stage of 60 to 15. The shortlist was very, very difficult - this next stage infinitely more complicated.

Fly safe, Sam.
Aerotech Flyer, Dave W liked this
By Aerotech Flyer
I, too am very sad not to see Riccardo in the shortlist. Yet even though Rob and I at Aerotech will certainly pull out all the stops to now try and reach the final fifteen, we are under no illusions on how tough this will be to get through. Having watched all the other video entries I have been totally amazed and delighted to see how thriving and alive General Aviation is around the world. Yes, there will always be the rich and confident types who have discovered the joys of flying in their expensive nearly new classic replicas and fair play to them, keeping the wheels and pistons of our small aviation sector turning and burning.
However, what this open Rally competition has brought home to me after some dismal last years, watching a decline in our home market through over regulation, financial reductions on people's incomes and a loss of aerodromes and airspace, is that the spark is still there! The young lad Kyle from Oregon who runs his own vintage restoration shop at only age 24! The entry from the young Frenchman restoring and flying classics such as St Exupery's own vintage tourer and not to mention the two old boys up in the French mountains who are doing such a fantastic job with their heritage collection. What about those two intrepid young Australians, who have already flown around the world as teenagers? Yes it is all utterly inspiring and reinvigorating!
No matter the personal outcome, the rally has given me my flying mojo back and I really hope the actual rally next March can rekindle the spirit of the era in which Mollison, Johnson, St Exupery, Lindbergh, Wiley Post et al excited the world with real adventure during some grim times.
Thanks again to all for your support so far and we will do our best to keep a Flyer element going in this rally.
Cheers
Steve :salut:
Sam Rutherford, Dave W, Lockhaven and 6 others liked this
By Aerotech Flyer

Here's an update on our bid to gain a place on the 2018 Vintage Air Rally. As the competition hots up for the final 15 places, it has become evident that a biplane entry to match a team of character and whackiness is the way to go.
Whilst both our whole lives spent in the wonderful world of aviation can, I hope, elicit enough blarney and banter to keep the cameras happy, that elusive extra set of wings has concerned us until now on our realistic chances.
Fortunately, our knight in shining armour was right under our noses in the Coventry hangar and thanks to Ron and Linda at the Airpark, Rob and I will be flying the rally in the wonderful Waco, should we make it through this last critical stage of selection.
As we pop up our final entry videos and postings on the #VintageAirRally facebook page, we would be most grateful for your continued support to like and share our entry, as this has become a benchmark of affability for the sponsors. We hope to repay this support with our best efforts to entertain you through our words, pictures and actions on the rally itself.
All the best
Steve and Rob
Flyin'Dutch', Sam Rutherford, Dave W and 1 others liked this
By Aerotech Flyer
Well, we are into the last few days of intense baby kissing and handshaking before the final deadline on Friday for the Vintage Rally. I am following Rob Doherty in his support of his home town Sligo and the airport there, where he worked initially before coming over to UK to set up on his own. Thus we are Team Ireland, although I don't have the accent, but my Irish nationality through my mother hopefully will also explain why I regard Ireland as a home from home for me, especially the amount of time exploring I have spent there over the years.
Anyways, please have a look at our video below and please feel free to join me as a friend on Facebook and then like the Vintage Rally Page at https://www.facebook.com/VintageAirRally/ afterwards, as this is the best way to register your support. We have mentioned Flyer in our promo, which we hope you enjoy below.
Thanks Steve and Rob
Remember to turn the sound on the video or you'll miss the lovely music.
Dave W, Lockhaven liked this