Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Ragwing
Watched it today....I found it gripping as did my wife which did surprise me.

Tom Hanks is a true master.
By chrisbl
I liked the special effects but that was about it but probably repeated too often.
The good guys were too good, the bad guys (NTSB) too bad and the denouement was just too cheesy. The only thing missing was the typical round of applause as the two rejoined the hearing following the break after listening to the CVR.

After the hype maybe I had too many expectations,
By Lefty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just back from watching it. I thought it was an excellent film. Tom Hanks "was" Sully. You really believed he was Sully, and not an actor.

The only thing I found a little disappointing was the how they kept repeating that 1400 of "New York's Finest" were responsible for the miracle on the Hudson.
By stevelup
I think that after 9/11, New Yorkers are very proud / sentimental about their emergency services. Not unexpected I guess...
By Lefty
stevelup wrote:I think that after 9/11, New Yorkers are very proud / sentimental about their emergency services. Not unexpected I guess...

Yea - but the real number responsible for the lack of fatalities was around 20-30 people.
Sully and his crew (7)
The crews of the first 2-3 ferry boats (approx 15-18)
Two police divers

IIRC all the rest were incidental - just driving people to hospitals for checkups etc. Only a handful needed actual hospital treatment. 1 Cabin attendant with a cut ankle and 4 or 5 for hypothermia (having slightly stupidly jumped into the water)
By stevelup
Anyway, it was a good film and refreshingly short.

They could have dragged that out far longer than it needed to be. There aren't many 96 minute films these days!
Rob P, jaycee58 liked this
By kanga
chrisbl wrote:..
The good guys were too good, the bad guys (NTSB) too bad and the denouement was just too cheesy. ..,

er, it's Hollywood, innit ? We should at least be glad that the producers did not cast the baddies as British-accented Arabs, I suppose .. :roll:
By matspart3
Enjoyed it. As predicted by Mrs matspart3, however, I spotted a couple of technical gaffes in the film. She told me I'm a 'sad b@st@rd that needs to get out more'. She's probably not wrong. Anyone else spot any?
By Tim Dawson
SkyDemon developer
Yes but kept them to myself!

Actually I was very surprised when something in the cockpit was warning them "obstacle" as they approached that bridge. I wouldn't have thought that such a VFR feature would be present. Anyone know if that aeroplane actually has such a feature?
matspart3 liked this