Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Cub
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I first flew in G-ATTK at Andrewsfield in 1978. Instructing at that time were Bill Morecraft, Wally Fitch, Chris Champion and a little later,Nigel Harris, Eddie Ford, Malcolm Wright and Robbie Gardner, who i believe still is. So who are you Pull-up? ;-)
Last edited by Cub on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matspart3 liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
GrimReaper wrote:Lastly, to the pilots - without your help and dedication, this simply doesn't happen. My gratitude to you is unbounded, especially those who undertake repositions to pick up veterans. Aviation is a very costly business, and I dread to think what the collective fuel burn would have been from Sunday.

This is a bit embarrassing, given that I drove in this year, but from my own perspective of flying veterans in to these events over the years, it's an honour and privilege to do so. We fly because we like flying, and sometimes we fly for no purpose...sometimes we fly for a bacon sandwich...sometimes we fly to meet up with friends. But flying is what we do.

To just meet any of the esteemed guests on their own would be nice, but to spend a whole day with a venue full of these people is just indescribable, and frankly, a little overwhelming.

To be able to fly with someone who flew on operations in WWII is just a dream come true for most of us. I know when Project Propeller first started that I dreamt that one day I'd be able to participate. At the time, the pilots who flew veterans into this event seemed like the chosen few, and personally I wasn't worthy. I was low hours and of little means at the time. After buying the Bulldog I couldn't wait to get involved. I remember volunteering and then waiting with my fingers crossed that I could be found someone to fly.

I had already flown a WWII veteran independently (an ex-Hurricane, Spitfire and Mosquito pilot) in a group aeroplane, but this wasn't anything like flying someone into Project Propeller, to be in the company of so many of these heros.

What I'm trying to say is that we, the pilots, thank you, the organisers, for giving us this chance. We don't deserve gratitude, it's us who are grateful to you, Graham and the team, for making this happen.
GolfHotel, MikeB, johnm and 14 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I remember volunteering and then waiting with my fingers crossed that I could be found someone to fly.

Replying to myself here, I'd just like to add something to this. Back in the day there were more pilots volunteering than there were veterans to be found. It's a tribute to Graham that despite a number of prior attendees who are no longer with us and a number who are too ill or too frail to now join us, that numbers of attendees have risen, and each year there seem to be a number of first timers.

Since Graham as taken the reins and taken it upon himself to seek out as many veterans as he can, we now have the situation where the number of pilot volunteers is now just barely enough. This is astonishing given the advanced age of these people.

I don't know how other veterans enjoy the day, but each and every one I've spoken to about it have said how marvelous it is that we're still thinking of them. Indeed, one of my first timers said to me, after a trip, that it was all so long ago, with so much water under the bridge, with life changing so much, that he thought our generation had forgotten all about them.

He was quite emotional that we still wanted to meet these people and bring them together and to share memories with our generation. It was nice to hear this as sometimes I think we volunteer for these things out of our own thoughts of wanting to meet these people and hear their stories...it's so nice to hear that they relish telling these stories as much as we like hearing them.

Even the chap I flew last year...a first timer...we only went from Lee on Solent to Sandown due to the weather further north...but we sat outside the cafe there and had a good old natter about aviation...pilot to pilot. You could see how after many years away, he was still a pilot. Aviation is in one's blood. It never leaves you. In the same vein, another prior passenger of mine wanted to sit and talk to us forumites rather than talk with the other veterans. Were were talking about aviation and aeroplanes, and he was still as keen as he was back in the 1940s and for those hours, we were all just a group of pilots chatting. Age and experience didn't matter.

I'm going off on a tangent again, but the purpose of this post was to congratulate Graham not just in his organisational skills in seeking out pilots and matching up pilots and passengers, but also for his incredible job in seeking out "new" (as he was heard to say!) veterans. You can't put a price on hearing a veteran say, "It's incredible that you do this for us. We thought we'd been forgotten about. We now know that's not the case."
mmcp42, ChampChump, matspart3 and 7 others liked this
By denopa
Superbly organised event. Weather was better than last year, still I had to divert from Dunkeswell to Exeter; I asked Dunkeswell Radio to inform my vet Vincent and his companion Brian, and when I landed and phoned them, they were already on their way! We made it second to last to the event, just as the Hurricane flew over...

Vincent flew like a pro on the way in. At 82, not having flown since 1946, he kept within 5 degrees and 50 feet for a good 10 minutes; after which he looked at me and said: " you've left the autopilot on, right?". "Nope, it's all you"... On the way to the plane, having already walked all the way from the Exeter terminal to the C gate, and pointing to the plane a couple hundred yards away, he grinned: "Well that's about how much I walk in a day, normally!". Brian was great fun as well. I talked to his wife and she said "I'm always worried when these two go out together!" They've been friends since 1948!
GrimReaper, pilotbarry, MikeB and 2 others liked this
By GrimReaper
OK, let me strike whilst the iron is hot.....

When the weather is less than perfect, I often get e-mails/calls from disappointed veterans lamenting the fact they weren't able to attend, albeit without any appropriation of blame. I then start thinking "what could we do for them that would be special?"

To that end - I have a Wireless Operator who flew operationally with 427 (RCAF) Squadron - he was newly registered for 2016, but frustrated by weather both this year and last - he's based near Biggin Hill. He would love to overfly his old base at Leeming, North Yorkshire with his 2 sons. He is fit and well and could board most aircraft.

Is there anyone who would be willing to take this on, please? If so, I will also explore angles with the RAF which would allow him to land there and have a look around his old haunts. I think this would be a wonderful trip for him. As each PP event goes by, the imperative to get things sorted for these old boys increases - time is most definitely not on our side.

(P.S. - if there's room, and you can drop in at Sywell/Leicester and pick up yours truly, I'd be happy to pitch into costs).
cockney steve, MikeB liked this
By Charliesixtysix
What an excellent initiative Graham.

I am only too sorry that I cannot meet the three/ four seat requirement for this trip, but please keep me in mind if any more 'solo' trips like this fall onto the plate.

It matters not if the iron is still hot or long cooled, and I am sure I speak for many here, we stand ready whenever - please just pass the word.
By GrimReaper
I ought, as well, to respond to the incredibly kind words that have been posted above. As an emotionally retarded "stiff-uper lip" type character, I'll freely confess to finding this all a bit difficult. :lol:

I won't deny it is hard work to bring the airside roster together - but it's also a lot of fun. To be able to listen to the stories of the wartime service of these veterans is an extraordinary privilege, and the excitement of reuniting two veterans who haven't seen each other for 70+ years, all derived from asking the right questions, is really something very special indeed. This has happened at least 4 times on my "watch".

I clearly recall a conversation I had with a gentleman of this parish, who I shan't name (he will step forward if he wishes) when I first took on the airside organisation. It went thus:

"You really must try to find some Czechs and Poles, if you can"
Me: "I would love to, but how on earth would I get them across to England if they're still in Poland, for example"
"I would go and get them, no problem"
"That's a hell of a journey you'd have to undertake"
"Maybe - but how far did they fly for me?"

I think we're all singing from the same hymn sheet, aren't we? :thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, Stu B liked this
By alexbrett2
Graham - if you don't get any better offers I'd be very happy to do a trip from Biggin to Leeming (via Sywell) in my Arrow. I'm always up for flying to new places, and if I can as it were give something (very little in comparison) back in the process that makes it so much better...
By Steve R
Graham: Will Timothy be aware of your Biggin Hill request? Although he doesn't appear to hang out here any more I last met him at PP two years ago so he may already know. If not I'll point him here from Facebook
By BlackheathBloke
Graham, also happy to take up the gent concerned and his family members in the Saratoga (which was flown in to PP this year by another group member, we have to fight for that prized slot! :D )

5 seats so can collect you enroute without too much problem, and Biggin based so no positioning required.
By denopa
Graham,

Actually without going all the way to Poland, there were a few Free French squadrons as well... I met at the event a Frenchwoman married to an Englishman, based in France near Versailles, I'm wondering if they may have a connection there were we could 'recruit' French Vets? I've also contacted a French magazine to see if they have an idea.

Patrick
Jonzarno liked this