Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By mmcp42
dragging this back up to the top of the pile
not seen any updates for a while
all under control?!?!?
By GrimReaper
Hi Mike

Yes - everything absolutely under control.

There was a scoping meeting in Gloucester last week, we walked the ground, agreed the aircraft parking procedures, and transit of pilots & guests from the flight line. The catering will be at table this year in terms of the food; it's intended that pilots & companions will then deal with the delivery of hot drinks. In short: we get veterans sat down as quickly as possible, for as long as possible, so they can enjoy the company of their peers.

I have 176 active veterans at present, of whom 14 are coming by road. Of the remaining 162, 80% have now been allocated to pilots, leaving 32 unrostered. I'm very happy with the way the roster is coming together, and have plans in place to fill the few remaining gaps.

On a personal level, I expect to find a job for you as well, I'm just waiting to see how a couple of cards fall.

As ever, any queries, please shout
mmcp42, GolfHotel, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By nmarshal
We look forward to seeing as many as possible of you on June 25.

However if there is anyone out there who cannot make it on the day, you may like to know that we have set up a JustGiving page to make it easy to support the event and to give the veterans a great day out.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/project-propeller

Thank you for your support.

Nigel Marshall

www.projectpropeller.co.uk
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectPropeller
By GrimReaper
Hi everybody, the current position as of today's date is as follows:

175 veterans due to attend
168 are either assigned to pilots or arriving by road
7 are presently unrostered

Of the 7 unrostered veterans, I am awaiting for pilot confirmation on 2, and expect that 2 more will decide to attend by road. This leave the following gaps:

1. Crosland Moor (near Huddersfield) - 32 operation Stirling/Lancaster Wireless Operator plus companion; he is reasonably mobile, so would suit a high or low wing aircraft. Combined passenger weight is nearly 31 stone.

2. Sandtoft/Doncaster - full tour Lancaster Mid Upper Gunner plus companion - mobility is not great, so needs an easy access or high wing aircraft. Combined weight is 25 stone.

3. Humberside - full tour Lancaster Rear Gunner plus companion - again, mobility isn't great, so would need an easy access or high wing aircraft. Combined passenger weight to be confirmed; the veteran isn't large.

If you can help me fill any of these gaps, please do get in touch.

If you have been allocated a veteran, but have not yet made contact, I'd be grateful if you could do so soon, and let me know you're in contact. I've only received positive notification from 35% of pilots who have been assigned a passenger.

If you have registered as a pilot, but haven't been allocated a passenger, I will be e-mailing you in the middle of May, to ask whether you are happy to stay on the list, or whether you wish to withdraw. The roster changes right up to the date of the event as pilots drop out / aircraft go tech, but I don't expect people to put their lives on hold.

As ever, any questions, please shout. :)
By GrimReaper
Good afternoon everybody

There are just over three weeks to run until the event, and everything is proceeding smoothly from a planning perspective. As far as airside matters are concerned, we have 172 veterans due to attend, all but one of which has been allocated to a pilot. The unallocated veteran is in Newcastle, but I am currently exploring an option that might sort him out.

I had hoped to be able to release joining instructions, but they've been held up owing to pressure of work at Gloucester (no criticism implied or intended). However, I am conscious that pilots want to begin planning flights and communicating timings with their veterans, so I am now in a position to release the draft landing slots. You can see the spreadsheet here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1741361941

As ever, it's been a difficult exercise to complete, but I've tried to be as sympathetic as I can bearing in mind airfield opening times and distances to travel. I would like to hear from you if:

1. You absolutely cannot make your assigned slot for operational reasons.

2. You have a very strong preference and reason for needing a change

3. If you are able to arrive in one of the first two landing slots, and are not currently allocated there

I will do the best I can, but do bear in mind that every change produces a knock-on effect.

You will see that I have assigned a slot to slower speed aircraft; there are not enough aircraft to fill this slot to capacity, so if you are in this slot, and not flying a "slow" aircraft, please be aware that the other traffic around you at that time may have a slower cruise speed and moderate yours accordingly.

There are two "fast" landing slots in the middle of the morning, so please also be aware if you are in the circuit close to these times

Loose departure slots will also be in operation to ensure that we don't have long queues forming. Your arrival slot also becomes your departure slot.

If you have not advised that you are in touch with your veteran (83 pilots in this category!) could you please get in touch with them soon, and drop me a line to confirm.

If you have any queries at all, please drop me a line.

Graham
By GrimReaper
This is the current position with regard to landing fee waivers, which were sent today (5/6/17). I will update this as I receive responses from airfields:

Requested

Clacton
Crosland Moor
Dunkeswell
Earls Colne
Gamston (chased 20/6)
Sandtoft
Swansea
Tatenhill

Waiver in place

Barton
Bembridge
Biggin Hill
Blackbushe
Bournemouth (still working on handling fees - chased 20/6))
Carlisle
Compton Abbas
Conington
Eaglescott
Elstree
Exeter
Fairoaks
Goodwood
Halfpenny Green
Henstridge (plus offer of fuel at cost)
Humberside
Lee-on-Solent
Leeds Bradford
Leicester
Rochester
Sandown
Seething
Shoreham
Sywell
Woodvale

I'm expecting joining instructions to be released by the end of the week.

As ever, any questions, please let me know. :thumleft:
Last edited by GrimReaper on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 am, edited 11 times in total.
MikeB, FlightDek liked this
By GrimReaper
Good morning everybody

I am now able to release the joining instructions for the Project Propeller event. You can view these by clicking on the attached link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xjutLsBrL2d8oubJ0PfaHrDX4WFV1NX0dV5bI_-AOsw/edit

For the safety of all guests arriving by air, please ensure that you are familiar with the contents of these instructions, and follow the protocols for the day. This will ensure a safe and enjoyable day for everybody.

You have already been issued with an arrival slot time – please click on the attached link if you need a reminder:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ckaOXDY6kevOTyNLeMIDmovOkJfLnoeVmIMRx6aVHpw/edit#gid=1741361941

Poor weather

The event will proceed irrespective of poor weather. If you are unable to fly on the day, and both you and your veteran are happy to drive, you should be aware of the following:

• The event will be held adjacent to the Jet Age Museum - the postcode for your SatNav devices is GL2 9QL.

• There will be ample parking available – the precise procedures to be deployed on the day are dependent upon the state of the ground immediately adjacent to the marquee; you will be directed appropriately upon arrival.

• Please display a car parking pass in your vehicle – click on the attached link:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ei0 ... sp=sharing

Guest Passes

Please ensure that you and any non-veteran guests are carrying a guest pass:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e_P52MEuRT0Gaw5twJbSlspPp3l0J1eIVHiUQNw6gWI/edit?usp=sharing

It is not necessary for veterans to carry a guest pass.

Catering

This year, we will be deploying a new system of catering, designed to keep our veteran guests comfortably seated. A selection of sandwiches, sausage rolls and cakes will be served at table by a contingent of Air Cadets. The Cadets are not allowed to handle any hot drinks, so please assist your veteran guests by collecting their drinks from the service area.

Grub Street Publishing

The above company will be present on the day, offering a selection of aviation based books. Project Propeller will receive a proportion of any sales, so if you're looking to pick up something to read, this is a good chance!

Portrait Photography

Immediately adjacent to the registration desk, there will be a chance for you to have a souvenir photograph taken with your guest(s). Specially priced copies will be available for purchase afterwards.

General updates

I will be posting general updates on the Flyer magazine and EuroGA forums.

If you have any questions, please do get in touch – I'll answer them to the best ability of a 100 hour, lapsed PPL pilot…. :D

Regards

Graham
mmcp42, rats404, MikeB and 1 others liked this
By rats404
Email sent to my veteran's wife with an outline brief and overall timings, plus the bad weather option (via Volvo). I have to keep reminding myself that my veteran's wife deals with email like normal mail - picked up once a day.
GrimReaper liked this
By alexbrett2
Joining instructions look sensible enough - one minor query is are there any recommendations of which way to vacate the various runway options where there's a choice and no specific ATC instruction is given, e.g. I imagine if landing on 27 then it would make sense if able to vacate right onto 18/36, given that's where parking is, rather than left (which would require crossing the active runway at some stage)?
By GrimReaper
Alex, I propose to leave this for a couple of days to see if Darren Lewington answers - it's his airfield, after all. If no reply is forthcoming, I'll direct him to the thread and seek a response
Last edited by GrimReaper on Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
By matspart3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
alexbrett2 wrote:Joining instructions look sensible enough - one minor query is are there any recommendations of which way to vacate the various runway options where there's a choice and no specific ATC instruction is given, e.g. I imagine if landing on 27 then it would make sense if able to vacate right onto 18/36, given that's where parking is, rather than left (which would require crossing the active runway at some stage)?

Alex, if it is 27 in use, the right turn onto 18/36 would be preferable but the distance from the threshold to the turn off is only a little over 300m, which means not everyone will be able to make it.

Our 'wish list' would be 04 arrivals followed by 22 departures but, clearly, the chances of that are pretty slim!

Whatever we're dealt weather-wise, expedition on the ground will be essential to make things run smoothly. Get off the runway as quickly as possible and leave plenty of room behind you once you've vacated!
kanga liked this
By matspart3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Just bumping this up again.

Air BP filled the bowser they've kindly loaned us today. I'd be really grateful if you lot did your best to empty it before you leave on Sunday.

Mrs matspart3 will be dealing with booking in at the PP marquee. She'll be taking fuel orders and credit card details and, ideally, we'd like to email you an invoice afterwards. We'll leave an uplift ticket with the aeroplane so you'll know how much we've put in for W&B calculations.