Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By kanga
GrimReaper wrote:..

"You really must try to find some Czechs and Poles, if you can"

among those 'other' visitors at JAM on the day to whom I had (very willingly) to explain what was going on with the marquee, the Hurricane, the Hornet Moth, the Texan, and all these elderly gentlemen and ladies with a spring in their step, were a Pole, and several French and Spanish, and a German. All (and the Brit visitors) seemed to think it was a great idea and tradition. :thumright:
MikeB, GrimReaper, matspart3 liked this
By GrimReaper
denopa wrote:Graham,

Actually without going all the way to Poland, there were a few Free French squadrons as well... I met at the event a Frenchwoman married to an Englishman, based in France near Versailles, I'm wondering if they may have a connection there were we could 'recruit' French Vets? I've also contacted a French magazine to see if they have an idea.

Patrick

Hi Patrick - wherever they are based, I'll try to get them there. The lady you were talking to was Anne-Marie Marshall, the wife of Nigel, who is on our organising team. I'm sure if they had any connections, I'd have heard by now.

We did have a Paris based veteran last year, but he flew over to England prior to our event and was flown in from London. Haven't heard from him for a while....
By GrimReaper
BlackheathBloke wrote:Graham, also happy to take up the gent concerned and his family members in the Saratoga (which was flown in to PP this year by another group member, we have to fight for that prized slot! :D )

5 seats so can collect you enroute without too much problem, and Biggin based so no positioning required.

Paul, I think I'll take you up on this then. Further comms to follow shortly.

Alex - thank for the offer - I think it makes sense to use a Biggin based pilot, rather than drag you South and have to fly North again.

Jon - you're a gentleman, but I abuse your goodwill enough. Rusty is still "on" for the trip to Belgium in August. He had a pacemaker fitted about 10 days ago, so didn't come on Sunday. He's on the mend, though - I'm driving him to the Chalke Valley History Festival on Sunday, where he's a guest speaker
By BlackheathBloke
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GrimReaper wrote:Paul, I think I'll take you up on this then. Further comms to follow shortly.

Look forward to it, standing by :salut:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By FlightDek
This was my first Project Propeller and unfortunately the weather beat us and stopped us flying in. 1100' cloudbase at Liverpool and poor vis on the route to Tatenhill. Instead I picked my guest up at his house near Rugeley and drove him and his daughter - didn't see why he should miss out just because of a bit of cloud.

Had a bit of a chat with him on the way down and back up. He found someone else there from his old squadron so disappeared for a while to talk about old times.

The plan is that I'll take him and his daughter up flying in the next couple of weeks from Tatenhill.

I thought the day was very well organised and will happily be back next year - preferably in a plane :thumleft:

See you all next year
Rob L, GrimReaper, Jonzarno and 1 others liked this
By Human Factor
johnm wrote:The event featured on BBC. Points west with inevitable inclusion of my regular passengers Mary Ellis and Joy Lofthouse :D

Lucky man.

I wasn't able to go but luckily I sent my cousin - the BBC reporter for Points West. She's been educated properly (or bored stiff more likely) by me about aeroplanes since she was three. :thumleft:

I keep threatening to fly her in the Nanchang but she keeps chickening out.
Rob L liked this
By Human Factor
I'll pass that on, thanks. She survived a trip on the flight deck of an Airbus with me once though, pre 2001.
By matspart3
FlightDek wrote:The plan is that I'll take him and his daughter up flying in the next couple of weeks from Tatenhill.

If you want to bring them to Gloucester, I'll happily arrange a Jet Age Museum tour, waive the landing fee and buy lunch.

Same applies to anyone else who couldn't make it on the day. It's such a privilege to be able to do this for the veterans and time is marching on...
kanga, Jonzarno, Mournkaye and 1 others liked this
By matspart3
Human Factor wrote:I wasn't able to go but luckily I sent my cousin - the BBC reporter for Points West.

It was an excellent piece. Now, if she could liberate a copy from the BBC for us, it would be much appreciated.....
By Mournkaye
matspart3 wrote:
FlightDek wrote:The plan is that I'll take him and his daughter up flying in the next couple of weeks from Tatenhill.

If you want to bring them to Gloucester, I'll happily arrange a Jet Age Museum tour, waive the landing fee and buy lunch.

Same applies to anyone else who couldn't make it on the day. It's such a privilege to be able to do this for the veterans and time is marching on...

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. I've re-booked my veteran for a second attempt next month so will hopefully see you then!

Dek, I'll have to pass Tatenhill (and Liverpool) so if you fancy a mini fly-out, lemme know :D We're aiming for Saturday July 29th.
By matspart3
We're going to host a Project Propeller reprise on Saturday 26th August at the Jet Age Museum from 10-4pm.

This date coincides with the museum's Hawker Typhoon cockpit project being delivered to the museum from the restoration workshop.

Ideally, the pilots and veterans who were weathered off will be able to come along, we'd also hope to fly the local Gloucester veterans who arrived by road on the day. That said, all are welcome.

Grim Reaper will be along after the weekend to help join up the dots, but he's already put in a massive amount in organising the event and hopefully, you chaps will already be in touch with your veterans and can make your own arrangements.

More details nearer the date.
kanga, AndyR, Mournkaye liked this