Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Josh wrote:You did ask :twisted:

I don't think there was actually a question! :naughty:

And, anyway, this looks to me like an airfield, whereas this is the 'city or landmark' thread. :scratch:

Tsk!

:lol: :thumright:
Last edited by Morten on Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OK - to take this to the extreme w.r.t. weather:

I was out flying the other day, VFR on top but slightly hypoxic and I looked down and saw this storm system, which I decided to punch through, relying on my IMC rating and acceptable minima below.

- where was I?
- was that a wise move?

Morten
Josh wrote:I do have a few photos of solid undercast but that would have been a bit naughty.

there are tales of WW2 pilots recognising their position above a solid layer by observing the pattern of blacker cloud bumps indicating coal-fired large factory or powerstation chimneys underneath :)
Alex Henshaw talks about that in Sigh for a Merlin, finding his way back to Castle Bromwich in Spitfires.

Years ago, somebody posted on here a great pic of the Didcot efflux bubbling above a solid low cloud layer.
kanga wrote:there are tales of WW2 pilots recognising their position above a solid layer by observing the pattern of blacker cloud bumps indicating coal-fired large factory or powerstation chimneys underneath :)

Alex Henshaw, in Sigh for a Merlin. He impressed an American (IIRC) on a test flight by breaking out of the cloud lined up exactly on the centreline of the runway.

Ah, Dave got there first. :D