Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By seanjd
FLY 7 wrote:Any further news?

The lovely lady on the CAA stand at Telford said there would be an update on their website in a week or so.
I think it will be tomorrow :clown:
By tomshep
£100 Christmas present from WBM.
£100 win Christmas raffle at work.
£50 Amazon voucher, ditto.

FTA-750 on Amazon : £315 inc p&p, x 20% =£63

I'll be £2 out of pocket. Damned EASA!
By Mick Elborn
The CAA have published the criteria for 8.33 radio fund.

People can’t yet apply, as the application form is currently being developed, but the GA Unit hope to publish this early in the new year

The criteria has been published at: www.caa.co.uk/CAP1501

And this web page has been updated with a link: http://www.caa.co.uk/General-aviation/Aircraft-ownership-and-maintenance/8-33-kHz-radios/
seanjd, T67M liked this
By Joe Dell
Does all of that mean I can't claim for one of these?

* Approved for ground to air use only *

The *Icom IC-A210E is easy to see OLED display provides large characters for viewing, day or night. Wide viewing angle increases side visibility making the IC-A210E easier to read. At all times, the USE and STBY (standby) window frequencies simultaneously appear on the large display.

Switches and function display are illuminated for night flying. Illumination dims and brightens with an auto dimmer function.

Automatic squelch function eliminates the need to make inconvenient squelch adjustments. All required functions are activated with the minimum number of controls.

With additional wiring aboard the aircraft, an intercom function allows you to talk with your crew.

Measuring just 6.3"(W) x 1.3"(H) x 10.7"(D) (160 x 34 x 271 mm) the IC-A210E neatly fits the mounting brackets used on most aircraft. All required connectors are included.
By Joe Dell
Well the 210E is already flying in lots of aircraft. It's the same spec as the 220 and if bought on the continent is around £700 cheaper than the 220 bought here. Both including VAT. It's a slot-in replacement for my current radio (Permit aircraft} so I'm tempted.
By Longfinal
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've only scanned the document quickly but there doesn't seem to be a 'like-for-like' clause anywhere so is this a licence for people to claim a subsidy for an upgrade and not just a replacement?
By seanjd
Longfinal wrote:I've only scanned the document quickly but there doesn't seem to be a 'like-for-like' clause anywhere so is this a licence for people to claim a subsidy for an upgrade and not just a replacement?

It makes no difference, and you could argue that having to go to 8.33 radio is an upgrade.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Anything not 'purchased from a bona-fide dealer' is excluded as are installation costs and essential ancillary equipment such as indicators.

Which means we can claim precisely £0.00 for our GNS-430 installation... Yet someone fitting a brand new GTN could claim the full whack. Utter pants.
By Hitch
Joe Dell wrote:Well the 210E is already flying in lots of aircraft. It's the same spec as the 220 and if bought on the continent is around £700 cheaper than the 220 bought here. Both including VAT. It's a slot-in replacement for my current radio (Permit aircraft} so I'm tempted.

But you would get the subsidy? And it wouldn't be approved for use by LAA / EASA etc. And you couldn't legitimately annually licence? :shifty: :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
By Mick Elborn
Page 9 Para 14 Purchases can only be considered if they are from a recognised bonafide business and supported by a receipt that clearly shows the item claimed.
This will allow the CAA to check with the retailer if required.

So be careful if bought from eBay?