Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Jetblu
"Solo?" "Alone?" British Aviatrix, Tracey Curtis-Taylor is the first person in British aviation history to ever have a prestigious aviation award rescinded.

Well done that woman :thumright:
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Indeed.

As one of the only half dozen in the room of 110+ people in the room who voted in favour of Barry Tempest's motion to rescind the award I would like to make a few points and then leave the topic to fade into history.

Barry made it clear that the LAA, like everyone else, had been misled back in 2014. The LAA said the award was made for a feat of navigation, there is now overwhelming evidence that multiple GPS/tablets were used and the 'support' aircraft followed.

Res ipsa loqitur. There was no feat of navigation.

I take no pleasure from seeing this happen but the facts are there for all to see and the members have spoken, comprehensively.

I do have reservations as to how this was handled by the LAA board but if I decide to air those it will be with the board and my fellow members.
I think it was the right decision by the LAA.

The fact that there was deceit, now proven to most people's satisfaction, is arguably grounds for removal of the award, regardless of the fine detail.

G
That must have taken a lot of courage.

The tragedy of her flights are that without all the misrepresentation, we might have otherwise been impressed by the determination it must have taken to get the sponsorship, and, although others seem to think this was a walk in the park, I personally think it is quite some adventure to undertake in an open cockpit aircraft. Even if accompanied by instructor and iPad. It sure knocks spots off any thing I've done.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I do have reservations as to how this was handled by the LAA board but if I decide to air those it will be with the board and my fellow members.

Whilst your posts show up as blank orange bands for me these days, I won't deny I was interested to read this one.

Isn't it just time to accept the result and let this one slip away? To take stuff up with the Board will just be wasting their time, wasting members' time, and ultimately achieve what?

The LAA have done what any membership establishment should do. They've asked the members. The members spoke. And they've acted.

Personally, I'd suggest that everyone backs off them now and let's them get on with their job of keeping the best maintained GA fleet in the UK airborne.

Wasting their time on tit-for-tat point scoring will just backfire on the members. The Woodhams trophy result has been cast. Let's move on.
Last edited by TheFarmer on Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.