Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
Dangerman wrote:Also a quick question if anyone can help please, which a quick Google hasn't given me an answer to. Is there any restriction of how soon before the end of the second year can I get the revalidation signed off, if I have already done an hour with an instructor (duly signed in logbook) and another 11 hours within say a couple of months of the start of the second year?

If you are referring to revalidating a SEP(Land) on an EASA PPL, once you have met all of the revalidation criteria you can get it revalidated as soon as convenient. Before the examiner writes anything on your licence, check what the new expiry date will be as it should be a full 2 years after the current expiry date (with the date being the last date of that month), and not all examiners are aware of this and might try to give you an expiry date that is to the end of the current month plus 2 years.
jerry_atrick wrote:In response to the OP, maybe its not the revalidation requirements that need to change, because they seem simple enough - but possibly the attitude of the pilots in question that need to change? .........

Wasn't the FAA BFR introduced simply because private pilots were not seeing an instructor at all? So for those who bemoan the fact that they know pilots who don't read forums, visit clubs or see an instructor, isn;t the sort of pilot that a BFR is aimed at??

The problem is that, whilst many see the BFR as a good thing, too many instructors see it as a money making thing. A properly good BFR covering recent changes in air-law and all the things talked about on these forums as well as an hour of flying might then get to the very people who are infringing, etc..

So if the revalidation has to change, why not make it a full-blown BFR?
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
[Devil's Advocate] Well, since as PeteM says the requirement for a 2 yearly instructional flight hasn't been shown to improve safety at all, and yet many pilots are uninformed on changes in the rules, how about another suggestion:

Bin the requirement to fly with an instructor completely, and replace it with a 1 hour ground school seminar in a classroom to provide the regulatory info currently missing.

The added advantage is that it doesn't have to be 1:1 like a flight. One ground instructor can brief lots of pilots at the same time, so the cost would be even more affordable, leaving even more AVGAS vouchers for those pilots who will then fly more, get more experience, and therefore become safer.

Bish, bash, bosh - Sorted. :D

Hang on. No... wait. I am a CRI - that is a terrible idea.

As you were.
seanxair liked this
Sir Morley Steven wrote:It changed ages ago. The last JAR licence will expire soon and all EASA and national icences have no expiry date.
BTW I have had both of your examples too and they all passed an air law exam once.

I was taught that it is solely MY responsibility to remain legally licensed and up to date with any changes in Air Law,........and that was 38 years ago!
So what's changed then? :roll:
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
Dangerman wrote:Also a quick question if anyone can help please, which a quick Google hasn't given me an answer to. Is there any restriction of how soon before the end of the second year can I get the revalidation signed off, if I have already done an hour with an instructor (duly signed in logbook) and another 11 hours within say a couple of months of the start of the second year?

If you are referring to revalidating a SEP(Land) on an EASA PPL, once you have met all of the revalidation criteria you can get it revalidated as soon as convenient. Before the examiner writes anything on your licence, check what the new expiry date will be as it should be a full 2 years after the current expiry date (with the date being the last date of that month), and not all examiners are aware of this and might try to give you an expiry date that is to the end of the current month plus 2 years.

That's fantastic - many thanks for the advice. Yes, SEP(Land) on EASA PPL.
By map5623
Changes are banded about enough on forums, club house chats, snail mail from the CAA on major changes and even more importantly from FI's and examiners when we are getting are 2 year reval signed off.

The FASVIG infringemets analysis says
60% of respondents were not members of any GA organisation or association.
Slightly OT, but whats the rationale behind me not being allowed to do 12 hours in the first year, having the hour with an instructor and then getting another 2 years validity?
Assuming I've got that right of course :D
Gertie wrote:
DarrenL wrote:As you can see, they really wanted a lot of documentation and certainly everything about legality of the flight.

Did they really get everything? Down to evidence that you had a copy of the interception procedures where you could reach them in the cockpit?

Interception could have ended up as a dog-fight :D
By Irv Lee
malcolmfrost wrote:Slightly OT, but whats the rationale behind me not being allowed to do 12 hours in the first year, having the hour with an instructor and then getting another 2 years validity?
Assuming I've got that right of course :D

[harking back]
I do know the answer to that from someone who was there... And told me at the time when I phoned them about another flaw
[/harking back]
What's it worth? (Obviously want money, I am instructor ;-) )
By cockney steve
Applicants shall be exempted from this flight if they have passed a class or type rating proficiency check or skill test in any other class or type of aeroplane.

It is section FCL.740.A Revalidation of class and type ratings — aeroplanes, page 38 of 193!

So yes really straight forward - but I come back to the central point - it has not improved safety and so is completely pointless!

Pete M posted the above.

what it SAYS about a type- rating-rating or skill-test has no time-limit or frame stated
Therefore, if, say you had converted from a Microlight, 10 years previously, you DON'T have to do the hour's "lesson"

What was meant, and what was written as law, are probably 2 different things . I an mot a lawyer but the framing of that , is little short of negligent.....and these retards are , no doubt, paid strong money to promulgate this diarrhoea. :evil:

typo edited
By DarrenL
Gertie wrote:Did they really get everything? Down to evidence that you had a copy of the interception procedures where you could reach them in the cockpit?

Fair cop Guv. Don't remember being asked for met reports to ensure VFR minima either as it goes.
By Gertie
DarrenL wrote:
Gertie wrote:Did they really get everything? Down to evidence that you had a copy of the interception procedures where you could reach them in the cockpit?

Fair cop Guv. Don't remember being asked for met reports to ensure VFR minima either as it goes.

Or a paper copy of the W&B you'd prepared for that specific flight ... which I've heard some jurisdictions like? Just "I know it's OK with full fuel and three and a half adults, as long as the passengers in the front weigh more than the ones in the back, so I don't re-do the sums and prove it again for every single flight" doesn't, we hear, work quite everywhere in Europe.
By Paul_Sengupta
malcolmfrost wrote:Slightly OT, but whats the rationale behind me not being allowed to do 12 hours in the first year, having the hour with an instructor and then getting another 2 years validity?

Are you really looking for logic in flying regulations coming from EASA?
By Irv Lee
Well there was a certain twisted logic behind it, but nothing to do with aviation though, more to do with getting something agreed (ANYTHING) that would allow a committee gridlocked by internal bitterness over previous issues to finally move on (and easa didn't start it, it was Jaa)
By Paul_Sengupta
Yes, you've described it on here before. I wouldn't exactly call it logic. Maybe "there was a reason for it" will suffice, with the reason being more to do with dogma and committee decisions rather than anything to do with flying.

Yes, JAA, EASA, same old. Any European bureaucratic committee led organisation I would guess.