Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I may be out of step, but that doesn't agree with what I was told directly from the horse's mouth a couple of weeks ago. The first of the two new ATCOs is expected to be validated by the end of November, and this is expected to coincide with a significant reduction in the current restrictions. The second is looking like being validated more towards end Feb or March and this should see a return to more normal operations.
By joe-fbs
That is more positive than what I have understood second-hand from the latest meeting with the university (our syndicate leader takes time out in the week to go the these meetings). Of course, what I understood may not be what he meant, etc. I hope you are right. I really want the place operating sensibly so we can go back.
By Bobcro
I attended the meeting on Friday and whilst the current situation is most unfortunate for many I have found that the University and the staff we deal with are taking positive steps to resolve the long and short term situation by willing to listen to sensible comments. The ATC staff shortages are not of their making.

In future controllers will be offered security as direct employees of the University with associated long term benefits. You can never prevent employees feeling that the grass is greener and moving on or getting a job flying aircraft.

The Vice Chancellor sees the development of the Airport as part of the long term investment in the various aerospace related activities. It will never revert to what it was in respect the freedom of movements and lack of safety standards but we must remember that we will achieve nothing by deriding the efforts of others who have to work within constraints imposed by others.
By joe-fbs
Thanks that is sort-of encouraging although "lack of safety standards" does seem to be playing into their hands in accepting that what works safely at many other airfields is not safe at Cranfield.
Orac liked this
By joe-fbs
Post removed. RAeS has printed my question (and the other chap's) in the November Aerospace magazine. My apologies for casting aspersions.
Last edited by joe-fbs on Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By joe-fbs
Another month has gone and I have heard nothing good or bad through my group. Anyone else heard anything please? It would be nice to get back there and make use of these lovely dark evenings.
By 2Donkeys
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have been given the same story. Normal-ish services are still unlikely to resume until late March or April if popular rumour is to be believed.
By Bobcro
Some very good news from Cranfield today.

Memo

Date : 30th November 2016
To : Air Traffic Control

AIRPORT UPDATE
I am pleased to confirm that our first new controller – David Row - has now completed his validation. This is excellent news for the Airport and operators and I am sure you will join me in congratulating Sophie and her team for all the hard work and dedication that they have put in to ensure that David’s training was completed as swiftly as possible and also to congratulate David for passing his validation.
Our next new controller – Darren Prady – will start his training next week.
With regards to our opening hours from Monday 5th December we should be in a position to, once again, be operating 7 days a week (with a few exceptions listed below). However, as we have made you aware previously, please be mindful that we have no resilience in the system for sickness, holidays, compassionate leave etc., until such time as Darren has completed his training. In order to mitigate the lack of resilience and to ensure we continue with the training in the same manner and focus, we will have to retain the PPR system.
This weekend we will be closed as previously planned and will take this opportunity to complete some minor repairs in order to avert future down time.
In addition, we will unfortunately be closed on Friday 2nd December – this is due to a late notice medical occurrence for one of our controllers.
The next planned closure days will be :-
Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th December
Saturday 24th through to Monday 27th December
If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards
Jo
Airport Manager
By Bobcro
Bobcro wrote:Some very good news from Cranfield today.

Memo

AIRPORT UPDATE
I am pleased to confirm that our first new controller – David Row - has now completed his validation. This is excellent news for the Airport and operators and I am sure you will join me in congratulating Sophie and her team for all the hard work and dedication that they have put in to ensure that David’s training was completed as swiftly as possible and also to congratulate David for passing his validation.
With regards to our opening hours from Monday 5th December we should be in a position to, once again, be operating 7 days a week (with a few exceptions listed below). However, as we have made you aware previously, please be mindful that we have no resilience in the system for sickness, holidays, compassionate leave etc., until such time as Darren has completed his training. In order to mitigate the lack of resilience and to ensure we continue with the training in the same manner and focus, we will have to retain the PPR system.
This weekend we will be closed as previously planned and will take this opportunity to complete some minor repairs in order to avert future down time.
In addition, we will unfortunately be closed on Friday 2nd December – this is due to a late notice medical occurrence for one of our controllers.
Saturday 24th through to Tuesday 27th December
Kind Regards
Jo
Airport Manager
By Bobcro
Bobcro wrote:
Bobcro wrote:Some very good news from Cranfield today.

Memo

AIRPORT UPDATE
Saturday 24th through to Tuesday 27th December
Kind Regards
Jo
Airport Manager

NOTE: I am sure that they don't want any ne'er-do-gooders nor doomsayers being based at Cranfield so let's set the standard for courtesy to and consideration for others. Safe flying

REMEMBER it is still PPR so check NOTAMS for updated info.