Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By matthew_w100
I'm about to start venturing further into France than L2K & Calais. Two things fill me with angst:

- PPR. In Blighty I always call ahead but telephone French is well beyond me. Chums tell me that this is not done in France; they just turn up and land. Only sometimes do they get shouted at... :-) Is this the general experience; PPR is uniquely British?

- Similarly, FR seulement. This site: http://flyinfrance.free.fr/ suggests (on the R/T page) that unless you're fluent in French you really shouldn't go to such airfields. The chums say this is nonsense and they turn up, make blind calls, discern the active runway and otherwise ignore anything else coming back over the radio. Again, only sometimes do they get shouted at.

I am much less thick skinned when it comes to being shouted at than my chums. Should I stick to Channel hops?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PPR is not often required in France and if it is it is often via email and Googletranslate is your friend.

A good crib sheet is useful for Francaise seulement, as soon as the locals hear you on the radio they'll scatter until you're safely on th ground.

You'll need to start at a customs field and they all do English and are quite widespread.
By johnm
The AIP just says no ATS capability so France Seulement I guess.
By Sir Morley Steven
On our website is a crib sheet. If you need to give prior notice an email usually suffices. I always email anyway so they are expecting me. A non NOTAMd airshow at my local strip in France would have taken me by surprise had I not emailed in advance.
By Adrian
matthew_w100 wrote:PPR is uniquely British?

It may not be uniquely British, but it's unique among countries that do a lot of GA flying. As is "booking out", "basic service", FISOs who control things on the ground, airfields that close at 5pm in summer, etc. etc.

I always have a feeling of relief when I cross the channel heading South. Everything suddenly becomes easy.
2Donkeys, Flyin'Dutch', Stu B and 3 others liked this
By skydriller
PPR for any aerodrome marked in the VAC as "ouvert a la CAP" or " public airtraffic" is an unknown concept in France. If there is any problem there will be a notam. Only private strips require PPR. "Restricted use" aerodromes are exactly that so you wont be going into them as a foreigner without DGAC approval - or at least you shouldnt be, but aa ever in france, it depends...

Adrian wrote:It may not be uniquely British, but it's unique among countries that do a lot of GA flying. As is "booking out", "basic service", FISOs who control things on the ground, airfields that close at 5pm in summer, etc. etc.

I always have a feeling of relief when I cross the channel heading South. Everything suddenly becomes easy.

Exactly....

Regards, SD..
By The_Doc
I concur, flying in France is a pleasure. Why not plan a few trips with someone who has flown further into France sat P2. This would give you reassurance and could be a useful experience. You can still log the time as you'll be PIC still.
jerry_atrick liked this
By matthew_w100
'Cos, as earlier alluded, most of the guys I know are cowboys! I could never rely on their advice being "the proper way of doing things in France" as opposed to "flouting the rules and taking chances with the authorities".

Another question - who provides LARS-like services in France? Presumably the "Info" services don't have radar. And does one have to remember the old terminology - flight information service, radar information service etc?
By The_Doc
Hmmm, yes, I should have written that a little more specifically!! Ask an experienced, "non-cowboy" pilot, who knows what they are doing!

Most of the time, I tend to fly VFR in the Class D & E airways to transit, so my experiences may be different to those flying lower levels. Clearly being in D or E I am always radar identified when talking to a FIS, RIS or Approach service. Lower down, I have always seemed to get a RIS when asked for, so I think they have good radar coverage.

Do research and checkout the military low level routes/corridors. There is a site / phone app that lists which of these are active and when, plus it is all NOTAMed. If you fly higher, it is worth checking out the AIP for the enroute lower airways chart. These allow one to traverse from A to B knowing you are above terrain, radar identified and controlled, and out of the way of places you shouldn't be! (generally speaking). They always seem to hand you off nicely to the next frequency and everything seems a breeze. Sometimes clearances are implied rather than stated, and so if unsure just verify with the ATCO that you ARE actually cleared!

The French are pretty laid back and it is pretty easy become accustomed to flying there.
By Lefty
This has been described in detail on the other topics - but .....

France is divide into approx 8 Flight Information Regions- each managed by a flight information unit.

These controllers do have radar

On first contact they will give you a discrete squawk which you will generally keep as you transfer from FIU to FIU across France.

Whilst they do have radar - If you are VFR - you are responsible for avoiding other a/c. They will usually advise of any potential conflicts - but they will not give vectors to avoid etc. They will not accept responsibility for keeping you away from other traffic. That service is only (legally) available to IFR traffic.

If (for example) you request a climb - that a specific altitude -they will tell you whether that altitude is available to you - e.g. there is no-one there for you to crash into.

You can find a list of the regions and their frequencies in the French AIP on the French DGAC website - but in practice you don't need this as you only really need to know the first FIU to contact as you enter French airspace - and SkyDemon / other products will tell you this.

In summary
If entering France anywhere between Calais and East of Deauville - you will be working Lille Information on 120.275
Between Deauville and Cherbourg - you will be talking to Deauville Information on 120.350
If entering France between Cherbourg and Brest - you will be working Brest Information on 134.200
The_Doc, Thumper liked this
By The_Doc
Good & helpful summary Lefty, especially highlighting the fact that even though you are usually radar identified and on a discrete squawk, that does not mean you are being separated as a VFR flight (well, unless in Class C or higher).

Remain vigilant at all times!

P.S- it's well worth heading into France from Jersey (along the A25 airway) just to be handed over to "Brest Control". Makes me chortle each time before being quickly slapped by the girlfriend sat P2 as she realises why I am giggling like a schoolboy!!
Tim Dawson, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Yes, "Brest Information" as was always gave me a smile and the expectation of "36C" being the response.

Rob P :oops:

I tried growing up and didn't like it.
The_Doc, skydriller, Ridders and 1 others liked this