Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's a complex world and it will find its niche. The Skyship 500 series, a previous occupant of the hangar, is still around as is the Zeppelin NT. One of the younger PPLs at the time I was learning went on to fly them. And I hadn't realised, despite living in Bedford for a few years, why Shortstown is named thus. (Just been googling: Airship Heritage Trust)

I'm just pleased that someone's designing and building aircraft in the UK*

* apart from the army of kitbuilders
By Morten
She was looking splendid yesterday evening catching the setting sun around seven o'clock :-)
Even Ms. M was impressed - although we both agreed that the view from the back is not as appealing as the view from the front and/sides.

What is the reason for the restricted airspace around Cardington? It's not as if it is a super secret facility or a potential hazard for navigation (up to 6,000 feet!)?

Morten
By PeteSpencer
Hope the massive 'sail' can cope with today's forecast winds :wink:
By cirrostratus
Was told by somebody that the reason for the Danger Area is that they still have a Hydrogen Storage / Production facility......... despite the change to Helium post Hindenburg :?:

(.......although the diesel fuel killed more people in the Hindenburg crash than the Hydrogen did )
By joe-fbs
The permanent restriction D206 is Met Office, nothing to do with us.

IIRC the press release mentions the wind limit on the mast and it's a lot higher than normal UK winds.
By Morten
What does the Met Office do or have that requires a permanently restricted airspace?

Maybe it's their website developers which need protection from the GA community... :twisted:

Morten
By Genghis the Engineer
They also use the area for testing UAVS.

The area is actually inactive a lot of the time, so if you want to overfly, it's worth checking.

G
By Trent772
Jumped out of the Skyship 600 twice !

That was novel, I can tell you :shock:

Camera work for them.
By joe-fbs
Some of your pictures from that jump now adorn my office and your pilot is still our chief test pilot.
By Trent772
Joe,

Can you post the exit shot... can't figure out how to post things here.

M