Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
LOL. I think that 'providing Airlander with a mast' is slightly rump about snout.

Should now add
5. to moor (e.g. an airship) to a mast designed for that purpose

:mrgreen:
Dave W, kanga liked this
By joe-fbs
Mast: To attach to the mast at the end of the flight.

See also De-mast: to detach from the mast at the start of the flight.

Dismast is of course something else entirely, see Hornblower (other sea stories are available).

The airship equivalent of brakes-off to brakes-on is off-mast to on-mast.
Dave W, Morten liked this
By joe-fbs
We do have a mooring line and a mooring line interface but I cannot recall us talking about mooring.
By skydriller
joe-fbs wrote:We do have a mooring line and a mooring line interface but I cannot recall us talking about mooring.

I find that slightly sad. I like the idea of mooring an airship, it is after all, an Air Ship.
By Nick
Morten wrote:It seems you are contributing not just to aviation but also to the enrichment of the language:

To mast ...?

;)

Morten

Does my bum look big in this? :lol:

Nick.
By Grumpy One
You don't want to be called a Master if your name is Bates
(One of my former shipmates unfortunately fell into this trap) :pirat:
Nick liked this
By Morten
Apocryphally, a Mr Bates with that very first name was employed by Captain Pugwash. Who was also alleged to have a cabin boy named Roger as well an Able Seaman named Staines, not forgetting a pirate with the name of Willy.
Apparently the constant references to these (untrue) double-entendre names made the author's name a misery. Shame for him but always good for a schoolboy snigger :)

Morten
By joe-fbs
Steve Page, some chap by this name has sent to the local Bedford newspaper an awesome photograph of him in his para-motor with Airlander in the background. If you are reading this or someone who knows him is, I would love to see more please.
Nick liked this
By Ian Melville
Morten wrote:Apocryphally, a Mr Bates with that very first name was employed by Captain Pugwash. Who was also alleged to have a cabin boy named Roger as well an Able Seaman named Staines, not forgetting a pirate with the name of Willy.
Apparently the constant references to these (untrue) double-entendre names made the author's name a misery. Shame for him but always good for a schoolboy snigger :)

Morten

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/pugwash.asp#%21
By avtur3
Fascinating documentary about the different technologies used by Airlander on the TV right now, 8-9pm, Friday.

'Impossible Engineering' on Yesterday channel (Freeview channel 19).

:thumleft:
By Pete L
Grumpy One wrote:You don't want to be called a Master if your name is Bates
(One of my former shipmates unfortunately fell into this trap) :pirat:

Those 10000nm voyages must have simply flown by :D

The Impossible Engineering segment was great - good on the history and the technology.