Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm guessing they are the sorts of tools that they would acquire once they went into production - no point in getting them early.
By joe-fbs
I'm not giving away any secrets here, by tools we mean manufacturing tools that were scrapped in the hiatus between the US Army ending the project and HAV buying it back.
By pilotbarry
Wickenby on 23rd September (Lincolnshire LAA)

joe-fbs talk at Wickenby, 23 September at 7.30pm, is open to everyone, not just LAA strut members.
Anne at Wickenby Cafe is putting on a Chilli dinner for £6.00 from 6:30pm. If you require a dinner could you let me know, please. Ta.
By Flintstone
joe-fbs wrote:I'm not giving away any secrets here, by tools we mean manufacturing tools that were scrapped in the hiatus between the US Army ending the project and HAV buying it back.

Aha. I was going to ask why, even if the military retained them you couldn't buy/borrow them now.
By kanga
Flintstone wrote:
joe-fbs wrote:.. tools that were scrapped in the hiatus between the US Army ending the project and HAV buying it back.

Aha. I was going to ask why, even if the military retained them you couldn't buy/borrow them now.

it may not be relevant to the Airlander, but many US companies who have done anything for a military contract are terrifed about ITAR. Not only may their bosses and any employees face Federal charges with potentially huge fines and long sentences, but even during investigation and even if there are no charges the companies and individuals may be barred for ever from further military contracts. This means that they may refuse to export, even to re-export to original designer or manufacturer, any thing at all (physical component, manual, software, ..) which has ever had a US military connexion; or even to talk to a foreign customer representative (including from the original designer or manufacturer), and even in the presence of and with the permission of DoD personnel fully conversant with the product/project, to the great frustration of the latter. Yes, I have experienced this ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... egulations
By Dave W
kanga wrote:... many US companies who have done anything for a military contract are terrifed about ITAR.

Not just US companies. As a protectionist measure, it's probably been a great success. No idea how it's managed arms trafficking.

I suspect there are quite a few of us here with some eye-rolling ITAR stories.
Stu B liked this
By mick w
I enjoyed the lecture , but have doubts about it's future , time will tell I suppose , you yourself must have concerns , (it chose to land like that ) , your words !!. :?
pilotbarry liked this
By joe-fbs
Most weeks I am turning down job opportunities so that I can stay with Airlander, the latest was yesterday. That should tell people very clearly what I think of our prospects.
kanga liked this
By GAFlyer4Fun
kanga wrote: and with the permission of DoD personnel fully conversant with the product/project, to the great frustration of the latter. Yes, I have experienced this.

It is the DoS not the DoD that have to give the written authorisations :wink:
By kanga
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:
kanga wrote: and with the permission of DoD personnel fully conversant with the product/project, to the great frustration of the latter. Yes, I have experienced this.

It is the DoS not the DoD that have to give the written authorisations :wink:

quite, but it is often only DoD folk who are familiar enough with the issues to be able to say whether permission should or should not be given, and will be as familiar as any DoS ones with the diplomatic as well as the military considerations :roll:
By joe-fbs
Thank you, you are too kind.

Next dates are:

Flyer Live 2nd December

Cheshire Flyers 16th January

Popham 13th March