Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By joe-fbs
My next lecture is 16th January at Cheshire Flyers in Sandbach.

Latest official update:

"Hybrid Air Vehicles is pleased to announce the structural damage sustained by Airlander’s heavy landing this summer has now been repaired, and over the Christmas period the new cockpit will be painted prior to the windscreens being fitted. The early part of 2017 will consist of a series of rigorous tests before Airlander continues its Flight Test Programme.
2016 in Numbers:
128 people have worked on Airlander this year
26,000 UK students engaged with Airlander through direct or partner STEM activities."

Full text here:

https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/news- ... f-the-year
kanga liked this
By gaznav
How on earth can it be termed a "heavy landing" - it was a crash, pure and simple, as the pilots were no longer in control of it when it hit the ground!!
Bobcro liked this
By gaznav
Also, more spin in the linked article:

2016 in Numbers:
128 people have worked on Airlander this year
100 million online views of Airlander related articles
Twice #1 story on the BBC website
600,000 views of our first flight video on our YouTube channel
26,000 UK students engaged with Airlander through direct or partner STEM activities.

Of course lots of people viewed 'Airlander related articles' - as they kept watching it crash on various media streams.

I'd also like to know what 'partner STEM activity' is supposed to mean? I have been involved in aviation STEM activity this year - are Airlander claiming that as well?

As for #1 story on the BBC website - I suspect that the Hindenburg or Titanic would have been as well...
Bobcro liked this
By Flintstone
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gaznav wrote:How on earth can it be termed a "heavy landing" - it was a crash, pure and simple, as the pilots were no longer in control of it when it hit the ground!!

Some of us always land like that, what about it? :D
gaznav, kanga, Rob P liked this
By joe-fbs
I am giving my next talk at Popham on Monday 13th March. Lecture starts at 2000.

Next one after that is in Sheffield on 26th September.

I am happy to do others during June, July and August (not April and May).
By flyingeeza
Skirted the Cardington zone yesterday and saw the Airlander parked outside. Does it live outside now I wonder? And does it weather-cock around its nose tether if the wind picks up and changes direction? And is it ever going to fly in anything stronger than a zephyr?

By Rob P
It wasn't there on Thursday

Rob P