Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:When you fly from a more benign strip, it is easy to remember the 95 times you landed nice and short, and forget the 5 times you needed a bit more room.

So, so true. Excellently put.
Keith Vinning liked this
By Nick
I operate a Eurofox out of a 290 metre strip with poor approaches. Normally I am stopped in less than half the strip, allways off in less than half, but it is very reassuring to have that little bit extra! I am always ready to throw away the landing, to go around and often do. On a warm day coming in with minimum fuel, no luggage and bearing in mind I am no heavy weight, can be challenging as that is the time it will float and you have to be ready to go around.
A short strip does keep you on your toes though.

Nick
By Nick
Straight Level wrote:
Nick wrote: it will float and you have to be ready to go around.
Nick

Yours certainly is a floater...... about 2 1/2 years by the look of it :-)

It certainly was. Got caught in a developing thermal and totalled it. But I was lucky and walked away from it. A very strong airframe, that's why I got another. :thumleft:

Nick
Straight Level liked this
By mr spog
We have a EuroFox and it's great. Yes the take off and landing distances are very impressive,
and yes you can land in these sorts of distances. However, as many others have said I would not like to base myself at such a short strip and be reliant on landing in near perfect conditions every time, and always nailing it.
One other very significant factor is what lies in the under and over shoot areas. If you over run do you just roll into another similar field etc without a hedge/fence or do you hit a brick wall.
The only difficulty I have had in the past with the Eurofox was getting to land when light and with no headwind. It just wants to float along. With a bit of practice and some use of side-sipping it's all sorted.
Nick liked this