Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I agree with Lefty

On one of my lessons we were northbound in the LLC and met a Gazelle coming the other way (the flying eggbeater type and not the jumpy animal type :D ). It passed by us about 100m to the right and 100ft below us. :shock:

We only spotted it about 2-3 seconds before it passed by. I think the problem was it was below us. That meant it disappeared into the clutter of the ground.

Separate north and south lanes would make it safer but the issue would be traffic to and from Barton cutting across.

Dek
By The Kissimmee Bum
FLYER Club Member (reader)  FLYER Club Member (reader)
Lefty wrote:I've long thought that it would be better to have a separate northbound - and southbound corridor.

Or simply treat the LLC like any line feature and keep it on your left, or rather keep to the right hand edge of the LLC. Effectively this offers the provision for N & S bound routes.
By Paul_Sengupta
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:Or simply treat the LLC like any line feature and keep it on your left, or rather keep to the right hand edge of the LLC. Effectively this offers the provision for N & S bound routes.

Which is what most of us do, but maybe not all.

Overtaking up the middle lane then...
By FlightDek
One other issue in the LLC. In the Warrington area it's recommended to keep to the east of the corridor as the forced landing options are much better. This tends to concentrate everyone in an even smaller area.

Still fun though, and a good way to go plane spotting :D

Dek
By seanjd
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:Or simply treat the LLC like any line feature and keep it on your left, or rather keep to the right hand edge of the LLC. Effectively this offers the provision for N & S bound routes.

Which is what most of us do, but maybe not all.

Overtaking up the middle lane then...

I would not be surprised if most pilots would try and stay in the central area to minimise possibilty of infringement.
MercianMarcus liked this
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:treat the LLC like any line feature and keep it on your left

How a nebulous line on a chart could be considered a 'line feature' beats me...

...anyway, hasn't EASA bombed out the UK's Right-Hand Rule?
By Gertie
Talkdownman wrote:...anyway, hasn't EASA bombed out the UK's Right-Hand Rule?

And if so how many of us would continue to follow it anyway, as it was clearly a Good Idea?

(Whoever got rid of it didn't tell the people who were instructing me this week about which side of a valley to fly up. But then whilst still in EASA-land I'm not in the UK just right now.)
By The Kissimmee Bum
Talkdownman wrote:
The Kissimmee Bum wrote:treat the LLC like any line feature and keep it on your left

How a nebulous line on a chart could be considered a 'line feature' beats me...

...anyway, hasn't EASA bombed out the UK's Right-Hand Rule?

Erm because it is a line on a chart no matter how nebulous that may be?
By Dave W
Umm. Keeping a line feature to your left is supposed to be a physical line feature, otherwise how can it be used as a mitigation to deconflict opposing traffic?

Your chart has a different line on than my chart. Probably even a different colour, too. ;)
By Gertie
Dave W wrote:Umm. Keeping a line feature to your left is supposed to be a physical line feature, otherwise how can it be used as a mitigation to deconflict opposing traffic?

Your chart has a different line on than my chart. Probably even a different colour, too. ;)

Doesn't anyone else treat the line between two popular VORs as a "line feature" and offset to the right?
T67M liked this
By The Kissimmee Bum
Dave W wrote:But VORs don't move, and hence a line between two of them is always in the same place for everybody.

I'm not aware of the LLC having shifted in recent years either.