Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
My first OP in GA after a lot of 'lurking', and a few replies here and there - it's a bit gratuitous, so forgive me...

I flew the Arrow in to EGBB today to attend a King Air there, with (probably unreasonably) more than a little trepidation conditioned from the many CAA-info emails on Birmingham Airspace Infringements, and having learned to fly at Wellesbourne with the associated instilling of 'don't go near there!'...

Lovely day for it, then cleared to a straight-in on RW33 by the very helpful BHX Approach & Tower; not an ILS approach but followed the Glideslope bang-on all the way with all the numbers right, and the touchdown was one of those lovely ones when you just know it all went exactly as it should have.

That would have all been enough to constitute 'a good one' in my books, but the little comment on the radio from the KLM 737 Captain holding at C2 of "Nice Landing" really made my day - so thank you, whoever you were!

That was all... :wink:

Cheers,

David
Dave W, mick w, Morten and 17 others liked this
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Tac_R wrote:the little comment on the radio from the KLM 737 Captain holding at C2 of "Nice Landing

Very nice indeed to be recognised like that :thumleft:

Taking a slight drift, maybe I've only just starting noticing something which has been the case for years, but it was quite noticeable on the last half a dozen or so flights I was on as SLF that there appeared to be no attempt at rounding out or flaring? Was this something which was removed from SOPs for efficiency or any other reason? Or is flight crew just out of currency? Has it always been like that? At least one of them was a bit of a shocker :shaking2: . None of them seemed to have any challenging Wx conditions to cope with?
By TheFarmer
For those of us more carrot-crunching aviation types, who get headaches above 800 feet, or 90 kts, where's EGBB?

PS Well done on the landing compliment. :thumright: Mind you, most airline pilots are pretty carp when it comes to GA flying, so he was also probably a tiny bit jealous of the fact that you could competently fly a real aircraft anyway! :wink:
Tac_R, StratoTramp liked this
“having learned to fly at Wellesbourne with the associated instilling of 'don't go near there!'... “

It does depend on where you trained at Wellesbourne but no one I know, as an instructor at Wellesbourne, would ever tell you that. We tell students to squawk the FMC and talk to Birmingham if needed. ATC at Birmingham are one of the most accommodating in the UK.
TheFarmer wrote:For those of us more carrot-crunching aviation types, who get headaches above 800 feet, or 90 kts, where's EGBB?

used to be called RAF Elmdon, if that helps. Is 06/24 still available ? :wink:
StratoTramp liked this
By Kittyhawk
Brum innit.

06/24 was closed some years ago. It was the runway for my first solo. It was normal then for first solo landings, for the fire truck to be deployed to the holding point. My instructor told me about this as he sent me off and said to be sure to give them a two fingered salute as I taxied back in! I still remember how good it felt.
Milty, T6Harvard, seanxair and 2 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Kittyhawk wrote:Brum innit.

06/24 was closed some years ago. It was the runway for my first solo. It was normal then for first solo landings, for the fire truck to be deployed to the holding point. My instructor told me about this as he sent me off and said to be sure to give them a two fingered salute as I taxied back in! I still remember how good it felt.

That is priceless!! Thanks.

What brilliant psychology. As a struggling student I'm going to keep that salute in mind :mrgreen: