Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Crash one wrote:There may be individual local people who understand, but not the policy makers at the top end.

I'd say that it is demonstrably the top end policy makers who do understand it, because the policy is well-defined*; it's the sharp end that sometimes misinterpret and mis-apply, as we seem to have seen again here.

*Note I didn't say "well-explained"; that bit is still very poor.
By ChampChump
We try to educate them when the duo or trio rock up, awaiting someone whose GAR form has got lost in their system, usually. Add tea, bikkies, cake, to suit and the PR is as good as we can make it. We and they are well aware of the power they have.
By SteveC
I had an interesting incident recently with the police. I had a candidate come and pick me up at the airfield next to my house for an LPC. I left my car at the end of the runway which is how I assume they tracked me down. A couple of days later they came knocking on my door attempting to give me the third degree as to what I was doing. I pointed out that it was a private airfield and that I had no requirement to inform them of my movements for a local flight. I asked them if I had driven from home to my destination would they be so interested. They then went into one about how I should file a GAR with them for every flight. I told them to bugger off.......
anglianav8r liked this
By tomshep
At OS recently it was neighbours making trouble due to entirely legal night flying activities, I have been told.
If this is beginning to happen more often, those assailed in this way ought to immediately file a complaint with the IOPC having established the collar numbers of the officers involved.
policeconduct.gov.uk
By JAFO
Genghis the Engineer wrote:One wonders where the police get these ideas from?

I believe that it is most often the case that they simply do not understand the regulations themselves. It's not something your average bobby will have to deal with, so it's not surprising that they misunderstand it when they get sent to the job.

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence." - Robert J. Hanlon
mmcp42, Dave W, Wide-Body and 2 others liked this
By dont overfill
Miscellaneous wrote:
dont overfill wrote:I'll phone on Monday to hopefully get an explanation.

Any joy? :D

Look at post #1598093.
It would have been fun to ask them if they have the man power to handle 24000 movements a year. I know the answer. :D
By Miscellaneous
dont overfill wrote:
Miscellaneous wrote:
dont overfill wrote:I'll phone on Monday to hopefully get an explanation.

Any joy? :D

Look at post #1598093.
It would have been fun to ask them if they have the man power to handle 24000 movements a year. I know the answer. :D

Cheers, missed that one. :oops:

Shame there wasn't more of an explanation. :D
By LUFTY
It has happened before at Gloucester during the Cheltenham Festival.

I actally challenged the legality of requring a GAR for each flight.

He did agree with me that SB/Border Force has no legal basis for requiring a GAR for internal flights.

However Special Branch, Border Force and all Police Constables have the power to inspect documentation/search aircraft/passengers under vaious acts of parliment.

The idea of requiring a GAR was to capture all the information which would be required for performing crew/passenger checks in advance to cut down on delays at the airfield.

In summary a good idea but perhaps they should have used a similar form but called it something different like advance passenger information.
By Dave W
LUFTY wrote:However Special Branch, Border Force and all Police Constables have the power to inspect documentation/search aircraft/passengers under vaious acts of parliment.

Except that there is no requirement whatsoever for people travelling within the UK, whether by car, train, Cessna or unicycle, to carry any ID with them - especially as pax.

Creeping demands for "Papieren, Bitte" when there is zero legal justification for it needs to be resisted.

This is not a GA issue, or even mainly a civil liberties issue: It is a Rule of Law issue and as such is really very important.
Nick, ChampChump, Charles Hunt and 5 others liked this
By Flintstone
Dave W wrote:Creeping demands for "Papieren, Bitte" when there is zero legal justification for it needs to be resisted.

If you have nothing to hide you've nothing to fear. Anyway, good luck.

Dave W liked this