Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By Rob P
I do recall we were promised lightweight low cost, mode S transponders a few years back. Did miss them?

Rob P
By gfry
Rob P wrote:I do recall we were promised lightweight low cost, mode S transponders a few years back. Did miss them?

Rob P

Maybe I missed them. the only reason I am really thinking about it is because of the Brize proposed changes. And even then I am literally right on the south western edge of the changes.
By Dave W
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
gfry wrote:Of course if thats a load of ole tosh then I am open to the idea that I possibly have forgot.

No, it's not - I was being flippant. Sorry; it's the dogma that denied conspicuity from Mode C that frustrated me.
By gfry
Dave W wrote:
gfry wrote:Of course if thats a load of ole tosh then I am open to the idea that I possibly have forgot.

No, it's not - I was being flippant. Sorry; it's the dogma that denied conspicuity from Mode C that frustrated me.

bugger you got me :thumright:
Dave W liked this
By Morten
Just out of interest, why is a transponder (certified or not) significantly more expensive than a radio (certified or not)?

Yes, it's much higher power, but the function itself is much simpler?

Morten
By Muzzlehatch
As yours is an LAA permit aircraft and as you currently have no transponder fitted, having one fitted is obviously not compulsory on your aircraft. Why fit a Mode S ? You can still fit mode A and C where carriage is voluntary.

LAA TL 3.03 "Although Mode S units are mandatory in certain areas (e.g. above FL100, the London
TMA, transponder mandatory zones, etc – full details in UK AIP-GEN 1.5), it is still permissible to
install Mode A or C units on aircraft where transponder carriage is voluntary.
" (my bold).

I know that's true as we have recently fitted a Mode C to our Jab which had no previous transponder, with no approval issues.
By gfry
Muzzlehatch wrote:As yours is an LAA permit aircraft and as you currently have no transponder fitted, having one fitted is obviously not compulsory on your aircraft. Why fit a Mode S ? You can still fit mode A and C where carriage is voluntary.

LAA TL 3.03 "Although Mode S units are mandatory in certain areas (e.g. above FL100, the London
TMA, transponder mandatory zones, etc – full details in UK AIP-GEN 1.5), it is still permissible to
install Mode A or C units on aircraft where transponder carriage is voluntary.
" (my bold).

I know that's true as we have recently fitted a Mode C to our Jab which had no previous transponder, with no approval issues.

Wow, nice one. I had no idea.
By nallen
Morten wrote:Just out of interest, why is a transponder (certified or not) significantly more expensive than a radio (certified or not)?

Yes, it's much higher power, but the function itself is much simpler?

Time to get the soldering iron out: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/avionics/transponder.html

(This guy's front page has lots of fun home-made avionics.)
Morten liked this
By letpmar
You cannot fit anything other than a mode S transponder if you are starting from new.
By T67M
Bendix King trade as part of the Honeywell Corporation, and their products are thus listed under Honeywell, not Bendix King.