Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
  • 1
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 19
#1511095
Perhaps now is a good time to quote EASA Implementing Regulations for SERA?

COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) 2016/1185
of 20 July 2016 amending Implementing Regulation (EU) No 923/2012 as regards the update and completion of the common rules of the air and operational provisions regarding services and procedures in air navigation (SERA Part C) and repealing Regulation (EC) No 730/2006

SERA.13001 Operation of an SSR transponder
(a) When an aircraft carries a serviceable SSR transponder, the pilot shall operate the transponder at all times during flight, regardless of whether the aircraft is within or outside airspace where SSR is used for ATS purposes.


But these regs still do not say you need to use mode C if fitted!
#1511096
SERA.13010 Pressure-altitude-derived information

(a) When the aircraft carries serviceable Mode C equipment, the pilot shall continuously operate this mode unless otherwise dictated by ATC.


Perhaps it is worth pilots reading the entirety of SERA?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 85&from=EN
Ben K, Cub, T67M liked this
#1511107
Dave Phillips wrote:
SERA.13010 Pressure-altitude-derived information

(a) When the aircraft carries serviceable Mode C equipment, the pilot shall continuously operate this mode unless otherwise dictated by ATC.


Perhaps it is worth pilots reading the entirety of SERA?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 85&from=EN


as we've got all the way through to page 11 (+ mod deletes) before this has been raised, does that mean that none of us knew this?
#1511110
Dave. You have gone and spoilt it and quoted the legislation! I really wanted to watch the debate to be assured that the 'community' could get to the correct and perhaps obvious conclusion without being reminded that SERA actually now requires the use of the transponder and use of Mode C if fitted and serviceable. You will be aware that we pushed and pushed for the requirement in U.K. legislation but ended up having to wait for the overbearing European legislation to be implemented. I have discussed the application of legislation with the Investigation and Enforcement Team and still feel that the malicious non selection of Mode C represents gross negligence in relation to Annex 13 and the application of a Just Culture and could be progressed via 'endangerment'.
#1511119
T67M wrote:
Dave Phillips wrote:Perhaps it is worth pilots reading the entirety of SERA?

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/ ... 85&from=EN


Is it available in an easy-to-swallow form? That link took me to incomprehensible doublespeak that started to wrench my eyes out of their sockets!


probably the very reason most people missed it.

maybe if this had been posted on page 1, this thread wouldn't have needed moderation and we wouldn't have had a student wishing he'd kept his mouth shut.
#1511128
Dave Phillips wrote:Perhaps now is a good time to quote EASA Implementing Regulations for SERA?

SERA.13001 Operation of an SSR transponder
(a) When an aircraft carries a serviceable SSR transponder, the pilot shall operate the transponder at all times during flight, regardless of whether the aircraft is within or outside airspace where SSR is used for ATS purposes.


The CAA seem to be a bit behind the drag having not acknowledged this amendment to the original SERA regulation ((EU) No 923/2012) and, there being no CAA notified and or issued Permission or Exemption from SERA 13001, it appears to me to be against the law not to have a transponder switched on, if fitted.


Some bits of that regulation came into effect on 18th August 16. Some other bits on 12th October 17. Section 13 about the SSR transponder is the latter.

I'm sure our regulators are on the ball and will issue relevant educative information and exemptions where relevant in due time.

--
Xtophe
Last edited by xtophe on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#1511135
And back around to the beginning we go. :D

No, we switch on our transponders now because:

(a) There's no sensible reason not to.
(b) Self-preservation is the best reason to do anything.
(c) It makes Irv happy.

Discussion of the minutiae of legislation, and its date of validity, to me misses the point by... by.... well, the width of the Manchester Low Level Route. ;)
Cub, Ridders, Paultheparaglider and 4 others liked this
#1511137
xtophe wrote:
Dave Phillips wrote:Perhaps now is a good time to quote EASA Implementing Regulations for SERA?

SERA.13001 Operation of an SSR transponder
(a) When an aircraft carries a serviceable SSR transponder, the pilot shall operate the transponder at all times during flight, regardless of whether the aircraft is within or outside airspace where SSR is used for ATS purposes.


The CAA seem to be a bit behind the drag having not acknowledged this amendment to the original SERA regulation ((EU) No 923/2012) and, there being no CAA notified and or issued Permission or Exemption from SERA 13001, it appears to me to be against the law not to have a transponder switched on, if fitted.


Some bits of that regulation came into effect on 18th August 16. Some other bits on 12th October 17. Section 13 about the SSR transponder is the latter.

I'm sure our regulators are on the ball and will issue relevant educative information and exemptions where relevant in due time.

--
Xtophe


Thank you for that. I must admit I thought it all was implemented last summer.
#1511145
Dave W wrote:
flyingeeza wrote:Inbound GA into North Weald must squawk 7010.


(My bold). That's not quite what the Pooley's plate says (there's no AIP entry):

Pooley's wrote:Flights without reference to Essex or Farnborough Radar may be made subject to
the following:

• Remain VFR;
• Remain below 1500 ft ALT (1179 ft QFE);
• Aircraft are equipped with Mode C or S Transponder;
• When in contact squawk 7010.


Again, my bold.

Having read that, I would expect to be told if they wanted me to squawk a particular code - I wouldn't do it as a matter of course.


Whenever I've flown into North Weald they have always asked me to squawk 7010. Same at Andrewsfield.
  • 1
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
  • 12
  • 13
  • 19