Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By THORP T211
I am having my annual camping trip with some folks from work on the 7,8,9 July. We go to a nice campsite in the Lake district,near to Lake windermere. Although I live in Liverpool and the lakes is only an hour and a 20 mins away,I thought it would be fun to fly there,but I cannot see and dont know of any airfields/strips nearby, anyone any ideas?
By Squadgy
Cark, South of Windermere, Tarmac, unlicenced, about 400m. Parachute centre.
By The Westmorland Flyer
Not many airfields around the Lake District 'cos there's not much flat land around! In addition to Cark (not been there, a bit short for me), there's also Barrow, which is OK but is quite a long and arduous journey into Windermere. To the north are Carlisle airport and Kirkbride, both of which offer reasonable access into the northern Lakes but you have to get over the Kirkstone pass to get to Windermere.

Not ideal, I'm afraid.
By The Westmorland Flyer
Straight'n'Level wrote:Last I heard BAE weren't accepting visitors to Barrow at weekends.

Yes, I believe that is unfortunately still the case. I've only been in there weekdays, for sure.
By tonyhalsall
There is a pivate strip south of Penrith at Bedlands Gate Farm in Lowther.
It is a microlight strip but if you have the capability to get into a very short strip then you may be OK. Just a word that a power line crosses the southern threshold at about 20' so you need to be high and aim long.
Tel 07759 538878 - Ian Hogg
Better ring him first !!
By The Westmorland Flyer
tonyhalsall wrote:There is a pivate strip south of Penrith at Bedlands Gate Farm in Lowther.
It is a microlight strip but if you have the capability to get into a very short strip then you may be OK. Just a word that a power line crosses the southern threshold at about 20' so you need to be high and aim long.
Better ring him first !!

Yes! Be very careful - the runways (about 300m) are bounded at each threshold by dry stone walls and to the south there are low voltage power lines within the field. It would be nice if the runways were about twice the length - it's only about a mile from my house!
By sofaman
The Westmorland Flyer wrote:
tonyhalsall wrote:There is a pivate strip south of Penrith at Bedlands Gate Farm in Lowther.
Better ring him first !!

Yes! Be very careful - the runways (about 300m) are bounded at each threshold by dry stone walls and to the south there are low voltage power lines within the field. It would be nice if the runways were about twice the length - it's only about a mile from my house!

Come on John, a man of your calibre! Maybe a microlight to get you over to Carlise :wink:
By cessna152towser
Yes indeed, John, you could buy a share in an Ikarus C-42 and keep it at home then make it available to the other shareholders at Carlisle while you are away flying your Warrior! :lol: :D
By Keef
I'd have suggested an R22.
By novpap
I have taken a 172 into Cark without any difficulty. Although runway is stated as 400m, there is an overrun if required. PPR essential.
By Neil Bordessa
I've taken an Aztec into Cark.....don't ask :D
By Straight'n'Level
I think Cark parachute club use a Cessna Caravan, if that's any guide?

(At least that's where I was told it was from when it turned up at Blackpool for servicing :? )
By cessna152towser
The Cark parachutists have (or had) a New Zealand built PAC-750XL which takes up 17 parachutists at a time. Huge flaps and when it was demonstrated at Carlisle the pilot would put it in a power dive from 10,000 feet then use the flaps to slow down on short finals and try to get back on the ground before the punters who had baled out.
http://www.utilityaircraft.com/skydiving.html
By Potts
Have also been to Cark (in a 152) recently. Easily spotted coming over Morecambe Bay, A/G infrequently manned, plenty of space to get in/out (overrun's extensive, official track about 400m). Short cab ride to Cartmel (have dinner at l'Enclume!)...