Primarily for general aviation discussion, but other aviation topics are also welcome.
By 15m unflapped
One of my club-mates works there, and has just posted a couple of photos of blown-over planes on our club forum. Shows how futile a block of concrete tied to the wings is in serious winds.
By dont overfill
Oh dear, Only two tied down outside at Perth. Hope they are OK. Probably several at Dundee.
102mph at Edinburgh.
D.O.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ouch! I've never used blocks but I suspect ground anchors would be at risk in these conditions if only screwed into earth.
By Auster wobbler
At work this morning in North Northamptonshire we have 2 40ft shipping containers one on top of the other empty and the wind blew the top one off !!!

Austerwobbler :pale:
By 602fan
Chipmunk and 150 on their backs. 172 crushed wingtip. Bulldog minus a rudder. Bolkow Junior with flaps and ailerons at jaunty angles. Spoke with Coastguard chap who'd come in from Stornoway in an S92 - said they were covering for the Navy Seakings who couldn't engage rotors due to wind strength. Glasgow Atis gave 56G81kt at around 0800 this morning.
By Vince C
A Chippy damaged! Oh no!

Saw some interesting go-arounds at MAN today. One Ryanair took 3 attempts to get in - that'll please Michael!
By 602fan
Chipmunk's a write-off. Bent at the firewall, behind the cockpit, fin & rudder crushed, wings now Stuka-like (bent where the flap ends and the aileron begins). Heartbreaking to see - especially as one of the shareholders too. :wall:
By TorqueSplit
I see Leeds is still taking arrivals :shock: - recall some amazing vids of crosswind approaches last time we had big winds there.
By Vince C
602fan wrote:Chipmunk's a write-off. Bent at the firewall, behind the cockpit, fin & rudder crushed, wings now Stuka-like (bent where the flap ends and the aileron begins). Heartbreaking to see - especially as one of the shareholders too. :wall:

That's awful news. To last as long as that one must have and then for it to get wrecked by a bit of wind is so sad. They are not rare aeroplanes, but not that common either and they are a bit special. And now they are a lttle bit rarer. :(
By 15m unflapped
It's sad about the planes, but thankfully only two deaths and very few casualties from yesterday. It could have been a lot worse, and being a Bank Holiday in Scotland yesterday might have helped as a lot of people were at home.