A place for regular members to sell their aviation stuff (non-commercial only pls, and no aircraft for sale)
Forum rules: Non-Aviation or commercial items are not accepted. The option to put items for sale here is in the first place for regular posters, if you are not (yet) a regular poster it may be that your ad will not be accepted.

Buyers and sellers should be aware that Flyer Forums or its parent company are not responsible for the articles put up for sale here nor can be held liable for any part of the transaction process - the usual internet buying and selling caveats apply and should be borne in mind when dealing with buyer/sellers through an internet site.
By AdamFrisch
The time has come to unfortunately sell my beloved 1978 Aerostar 601P, as I have other financial commitments. I've spend over $135K+ on this in last year - everything firewall forward is new or overhauled. Everything works, All SB's all AD's complied with. Great plane that's been well taken care of. A rocket that burns 25gph doing 200-210kts. A great tourer for Europe - you can beat any airline up to about 1000nm. Just pick her up and fly away.

Airframe:
3558 TT

Engines:
L/R: 40 SMOH (done by One Stop Aviation in Ocenaside, CA)
Turbo's O/H
Wastegates O/H
All accessories O/H
All hoses new firewall forward
Throttle cables new
Mixture cables new
Prop cables new
Overhauled turbo scavenge pumps

Props:
L/R: 64 SPOH. De-iced.
New style V-hubs without the AD.

Avionics:
Garmin 430 WAAS full IFR
Collins NAV/COM
Collins TXP - just overhauled.
Collins ADF
Bendix W/X Radar - works perfectly
Shadin Totalizer/FF
HSI
Standby Electric AI
Dual GS/ILS
Century IV A/P - works like a charm and captures

Exterior:
Paint 8/10. White with maroon and black stripes. A coaster sized missing on GS tailcone. Some slight ice damage on fuselage R side. Will be delivered waxed and shiny.

Interior:
The usual late 70's style. I'd say 5-6/10. Upholstery is good and everything works fine, just not very stylish. Mid seat swivels and can be made into a bed. Has foldable table.

Upgrades:
Machen Inconel Exhaust
Machen VG kit
Machen Heavy duty drag brace
Machen heavy duty torque links
New battery
Aux Hydraulic
Air Conditoner electric (needs a little refill, I think)
New discs
New pads
Eng fire detection kit upgrade
De-iced wings (boots in good shape)
Alphabeam LED landing lights
De-iced hot plate

Annual:
In annual until July 2015.
All AD's and SB's complied with

PRICE: $159.900

I prefer to use a title company/escrow, as it protects all parties. For those that prefer to email, please reach me at my firstname-at-firstandlastname-dot-com.

Here is link to some pictures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Piper-Aerostar-601P-/121481448352?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c48dbcba0&item=121481448352&pt=Motors_Aircraft
By RobertL
Tkf I believe Adam has upgraded to a Turbo Commander 690A - another Ted Smith design.

In theory would win the longest flight to a Flyer Forum Fly-in, although may need to overnight from California.
By AdamFrisch
This is correct, although it's a 680V with the Century engine upgrades. First generation plane, but with second generation engines. This makes the plane very similar to the interim Hawk 681 model - 690 engines but with the 680 short wing. It's kind of the best of two worlds - you don't have to do any of the recurring spar inspections (as the wing is completely different), nor the 5 year gear overhauls or the pressure bulkhead modification. Which should make this a comparatively cheap TP to run. And the TPE331-151K's have 5400hrs TBO and are pretty much bulletproof. Tons of spares, tons of engines available if you just want to get a halftime engine and hang it on.

Downside is you're not quite as fast as the 690's, you have less pressure differential in cabin and a wing that won't fly much higher than FL250. You're also dealing with a 45 year old airframe. Should be interesting times ahead, plane is in for phase inspection (annual) and some pressure leak sealing now.

As for Aerostar, she's in for oil change now and I'm putting new tyres on the MLG a swell as general service. I'll take $150K for it. It's a great value. But twin prices being what they are....
By Bobcro
I love reading your posts, always very interesting and well constructed. You really are a glutton for punishment just having spent $135,000 on refurbing your Aerostar in the last year you will probably sell her for that amount.

You've moved up to a twin Turboprop that has some very old equipment installed and having spent $1500 on filling her up being 10% of your perceived value of your Aerostar you are faced with much the same problem in a continuous upgrade program so will need to find another $150k.

Several decades ago I was told that the H14 autopilot can trace its ancestry back to that fitted in the X15 .. the fasted aircraft in the world. Spares and knowledgeable service support could be a problem.

To achieve the low fuel flows you envisage you need to fly high but have a short wing, probably tired engines and hand flying her at high altitudes in heavy weather could be challenging. When flying the 900 I found that she was slippery and tended to tuck under unless the speed was constantly restrained. The 500A nice to fly, the 520 reminded me of the 'Ike era' and just as noisy as an Islander.

Best fly with a friend so that after landing you can both turn the props.

Seriously good luck with your sale and purchase and I look forward to reading further news from you.
By AdamFrisch
Yes, it's not good times to sell piston twins. I will not get back what I've put in by far, but I knew this. The best thing would have been to keep the Aerostar. But the heart wants what it wants. And I get a similar discount on the new plane - huge discount actually. Just 10 years ago (during the good times) all these planes started around $500K and up on the used market. I would not have been able to afford any of these at that time.
By AdamFrisch
Price reduced to $145K. I'm now giving the plane away for free and just covering the costs of the engine O/H's. Sucks for me, great for buyers. :? :thumleft: :shock:

This particular aircraft has had no squawks whatsoever since engine o/h. I fly her every week - done 3 long trips in Jan alone. New MLG tires and new tach in Jan 2015. She's as solid as they come and you can just fly her away.
By AdamFrisch
Price reduced to $135K. Fresh annual as we speak.