Where have you been? What have you seen?
Frustratingly , despite completing and submitting my NPPL paperwork at the beginning of this month, I'm still waiting for my actual licence to turn up. But I already have a queue of passngers / victims waiting in the wings, and I've really missed not being in the air over the last 8 or so weeks, so I drove over to Membury this morning & hired a plane.

I asked the CFI what he thought I should try on my first flight as a qualified pilot. He suggested that I hone my RT skills & tackle a flight to Enstone, via the Brize CTR! Initially I was apprehensive, but he knows me fairly well by now. All I need is a bit of a nudge to boost my confidence every now and then. So with the help of SkyDemon, I gave it a go.

My first call to the zone after being handed over by Brize radar wasn't particularly brilliant, and he acknowledged my request with a standby & remain outside due to traffic - which I duly complied with via a series of orbits.

I guess that helped the perception as I was soon cleared through via Witney, not below 3300.

The rest of the flight into Enstone went well. I did what I thought was a decent overhead join & had a lovely landing. It was only when I got into the clubhouse that I realised I'd left my wallet in the car. Very embarrassing. I got their bank details though, and transferred the fee online just now.

Coming back was more eventful. Having been cleared for transit not below 3300 (I was still climbing) I was concerned with some cloud up ahead. Remembering the multiple choice exam question about clearance putting me into IMC, I informed the controller & did a 180 before entering - although according to skydemon I had actually infringed by not very much. I apologised & was offered a new crossing clearance, not above 1200ft, via Burford and Farringdon. I was quite chuffed when I realised this would take me directly over the base itself, and as I turned over Burford to enter the zone, a c17 passed overhead, on the downwind. I wish I'd had my headmounted go-pro on and running because it was awesome to see.

After that I exited the zone & was handed over to Brize radar again, who advised I was back on a basic service & could climb at my discretion, which I did, back up to 2000ft. I was back in the circuit at Membury before I knew it. After landing I was absolutely buzzing.

So a big thank you to the Staff at Brize. They were very patient and professional. And very accommodating, especially since I was negative transponder & some of my calls weren't exactly professional...

Another thing that occurred to me after landing - I wasn't bothered at all by the turbulence. Probably because I had an absorbing task to focus on?

Also, Skydemon is flipping brilliant :thumleft:
Cowshed, mattrm, Dave W and 3 others liked this
mattrm wrote:Sounds excellent. Didn't know there was an airfield at Membury, I only know it for the motorway services. Glad you had a nice flight.

Yeah, it's right next to the services & it's pretty big, with 2 tarmac and 3 grass options, one of which is absolutely huge.

I split my learning between there and Swansea because I liked the instructors' style (Julian Midder, very fastidious and professional), and I knew I'd probably eventually be doing a lot my flying off grass strips. And with three C42s there's normally good availability; I could have had the plane I hired for the rest of the day if I wanted to, but amidst the buzz of the flight & RT work I thought I'd play it safe. Next time I'll go a bit further.

I have a ton of flights planned already. The buzz from yesterday still hasn't worn off!
Sounds like you had a great first flight as a licensed pilot!

One thing which stood out to me from your story was you said that a C-17 passed you overhead. Was there no reference to wake turbulence made (or a recommended distance) passed to you?

I don't know how military controllers apply wake turbulence separation, but at a civil aerodrome that scenario would call for a (recommended) distance of 7 miles.
cjm_wales liked this
Congratulations on that first post PPL flight and it's great that you pushed yourself. The only way to learn in my view is to stretch yourself a little.

Glad it went well.
cjm_wales liked this
Saturday was my first flight with a passenger - my Dad :D

I took him on a 55 minute bimble around the Gower & Swansea bay. He absolutely loved it. I hope all my passengers are as laid back as he was! And what an amazing thing to be able to do - I'm still buzzing from the flight.

The missus is next - I think that one might be a bit more tense :lol:

He took this shot on climbout - I was pre-occupied, hence my 'serious pilot face'.

Spooky, Flyin'Dutch', sincil liked this
Loving the serious concentrating look!

Glad your Dad enjoyed it, it's always good to take family up for the first time.

Good luck with the Mrs, luckily mine loves it, but I can imagine it's not always that simple.
cjm_wales liked this