What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By Grumpy One
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Had a nice surprise this morning whilst attending Bournemouth's "Aerodrome Safety Forum".
They announced that they intended to host a type of 'GA Friendly Day' . (I know. I know. Some of you are thinking "Bournemouth? Friendly? :shock: - But they really are :thumright: )

So the date for your diaries, iPads, Nexuseses, filofaxeses, fridge noteboards..... 28th September 2014

The initial chat is that there'll be a £5 landing fee for the smaller beasts (say <2000kg) and increments up to about £10 for a twin.. So not even my mate from Yorkshire, Grumpy Yorkie no less, should balk at that :wink:

They plan to provide cake!!! and maybe even burgers n' stuff.
The various companies on the airfield (sorry Aerodrome) seem to opening their doors so that the fly in folk can take a look around etc (Bournemouth Handling, The tower, Airtime, Citation Centre so on and so forth).

Yes ..... You will have to PPR ....... AND Hi-Viz is required (at least, 1 Hi-Viz wearer to accompany 4 persons)

There will be more information published shortly describing the booking process and even (I'm told) a poster!! Hang the expense eh?
They are wanting loads of you to come, a 100+ can be easily accomplished.

Personally, I'd like the whole event to be oversubscribed, as it will perhaps help to illustrate to Manchester Airport Group (Bournemouth's bosses) that the lowish GA usage of the airfield and lack of visitors, is primarily the result of high landing fees, which could/possibly/maybe be used as an argument
for reducing the fees.

I have ideas to encourage more people, but so far my suggestion to hold a contest as to who can polish my aeroplane the bestest, has been frowned on :? :(

More news will be promulgated as and when my spies tell me.....
By Airtime
Please come to the Bournemouth Airport GA Day, Sunday 28th September 2014.
As Grumpy One says, it is only £5 to land (under 2000kg).

The Airport Staff who are organising this event will be on hand for visiting pilots to tell them that they would visit more often if the fees were reasonable. We are confident they will take notice if a large number of pilots fly in and tell them the fees are too high.
If you want Bournemouth Airport to lower it's fees to light GA, PLEASE support this event by flying in. If 200 aircraft turn up on 28th September, it will demonstrate to the airport that the cost of landing and handling is keeping these aircraft away.

Airtime will be organising some entertainment (maybe a BBQ, maybe dancing girls, who knows?).
By Paul_Sengupta
Sounds splendid! Are there buses to the town if we want to make a day of it? Though I suspect it'll be a bit like the Gloucester day, no time for anything other than talking and eating! :D

Fingers crossed for good weather.
By EGHH_Tower
Hi everyone,
Just to introduce myself.. I'm Richard, one of the Assistants at Bournemouth air traffic. I'm part of the team helping to organise the Bournemouth GA Day. As I've been to a few of these things before, my boss has asked me to take on the role of promoting the event within the GA community and organising the bookings!

I'm really pleased to see that the word is spreading already! The details posted by Grumpy and Airtime are pretty much spot on, but if you'd like to know any additional details or have any questions, either post here or feel free to send me a PM.

As this is the first event of it's kind at Bournemouth (highly likely to become an annual event if it proves popular!) we need to be careful about numbers. So there will be a cap on numbers, although this hasn't been finalised yet.

To reserve a landing slot, please email bookaslot@bournemouthairport.com (which will be manned by myself when I'm in the Tower).

Looking forward to meeting lots of you in September!

Rich
ATSA EGHH
By Grumpy One
Paul_Sengupta wrote:.... Are there buses to the town if we want to make a day of it? ....

Yes there are buses (Google Bournemouth Airport - Buses)
And, if you ask me nicely (with cake and/or Cornish pasty) I'll drive you down there if you wish - BUT DON'T BE LATE :D

I've ordered some decent weather, but have extra umbrellas if required.
By vahgatsi
A welcome, positive step. :D
By BlackheathBloke
Good to hear, I'd love to fly in again if the fees become reasonable so will definitely be signing up. :thumleft:
By Paul_Sengupta
Grumpy One wrote:if you ask me nicely (with cake and/or Cornish pasty) I'll drive you down there if you wish

Gosh, thanks!

But I'm not sure you'd want to trust me in your car. Last time I touched your aeroplane I broke a piece of it off. :shock: Haven't gone near it ever since.

Grumpy One wrote:BUT DON'T BE LATE :D

Who, me? :D
By GrahamB
I'm booked in.
By Grumpy One
EGHH_Tower wrote:Hi everyone,
Just to introduce myself.. I'm Richard, Rich ATSA EGHH

Welcome Rich. Lovely words of intro and what a pleasure it was to learn about the 28th Sept. event. It's they way to go.

If there's anything we Bournemouth grumpy flying mob can do to help, just let me know (PM me, phone or radio)
Easily recognised - White & Yellow with blue stars thingy.
By GAFlyer4Fun
EGHH_Tower wrote:Hi everyone,
Just to introduce myself.. I'm Richard, one of the Assistants at Bournemouth air traffic. I'm part of the team helping to organise the Bournemouth GA Day. As I've been to a few of these things before, my boss has asked me to take on the role of promoting the event within the GA community and organising the bookings!

Looking forward to meeting lots of you in September!

Rich
ATSA EGHH

hi Rich

Welcome to the forum.

I welcome the initiative but why wait until so late in September?

I dont know if I am a typical GA VFR flyer, but at the back end of September my flights tend to be shorter and have more delays/cancellations due to seasonal factors.... the reduced number of daylight hours, morning/evening mist and fog, possibly more rain,....

How about picking a day in the peak summer flying season one weekend that does not clash with other big sporting events (eg world cup final, wimbledon final, UK rounds of F1 and Motogp,..) or aviation events (RIAT, Farnborough International etc) and flyouts ?
Peak summer season gives you more options for an alternative date for the experiment if the weather is not good on the day.

Good luck. It has been many years since I have flown to Bournemouth due to the costs.
By PeteSpencer
Yep: Worth a visit.

With sunset at 18.56hrs, will be an early departure though.

Now booked in.

Peter
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.