What are you planning? Where shall we go?
Hi All;

We're back! after last year's vile weather and last minute cancellation the Halesworth Lions Club Wings and Wheels is on again, now at a new venue with much better approaches. This year we're at Heveningham Hall, close to the stunning Suffolk Heritage Coast on the 6th and 7th of July.

As usual there will be a small display, and this year we are part of the Heveningham Hall Country fair as well as the vintage vehicles http://www.countryfair.co.uk/

Anybody confident on 530m of mown parkland is very welcome, BUT PPR IS ESSENTIAL.

PPR comes from me johndhill@o2.co.uk

or for late ones (i.e on the day 07796878052)
By John Hill
The Blades are on twice a day and there is a BBMF Spitfire coming. The Suffolk weather is looking beautiful and so far 72 aircraft are booked in.

John
By Keef
Perfect weather and a great turn out!
By Keef
Just a few pix from an outstanding day at Heveningham (thanks to all involved - brilliant organisation!)

The Hall and the strip from the OHJ:

The wind was straight across the strip (but only about 5 knots), but there was a pronounced downslope - and some interesting thermal effects on final to 22. I was low, then high, then going around... The runway was changed to 04, and all was well thereafter.

Here's a forumite giving a classic demonstration of how to do a 3-point landing:

The lineup of aircraft parked in the ... park:

A small group of forumites enjoying the air:

The highlight (for aviatiors, anyway) was the display by The Blades, who were stunning in their Extras:

They seemed to have a problem keeping the aircraft right way up and facing in the right direction...

The commentary was outstanding! I don't know who did it, but his contribution made the airshow.

If you're at a loose end tomorrow (Sunday) then call for PPR and have a good day out!
By Jodelman
Excellent pics, Keef. Much better than those from my Brownie Box Camera. :)

It really was a super day with lots going on in the Park and with ideal weather.

If you can make it Sunday, do so. You won't be disappointed.
By ChampChump
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Another brilliant day at a setting even better than Henham Park, which is saying something. I tend to get rather emotional at events like these, as they seem to encompass all that's good about the country and it gives me hope.

Walking around, it was hard not to contemplate the amount of planning and graft that must have occurred to make it all seem so easy and I hope John will take some well-deserved credit then pass on my thanks to others. I trust that there's a fortune (beyond the dreams of avarice etc) to be counted by the end of the weekend.

My photos are here: http://no7bcm.smugmug.com/Other/Hevenin ... 44_2XcBQc; I'd like to paste them here but there are too many and the aviation (and forumite) content is mixed in with everything else and I did find the everything else worth recording. So please take a look if you wish.

Keef, you flatter me. :oops:
By shadow man
We had a great day well done to Halesworth Lions Club and John Hill with his team and we will be back Sunday.

By Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
If you are looking for somewhere to go to enjoy the summer weather, give John a call on the number given in the first post of this thread.

It's a really good day out with plenty to see, do and eat. As well as watching the aeronautical content and catching up with old friends.
To everyone who flew please accept the thanks of all the organisers. The standard of airmanship shown was tremendous, the fun you all gave to our (my) weekend will stay with me for a very long time.

Champ Chump I promise priority parking next time and thanks for the link, I saw nothing but the airfield from Friday onwards!

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer, Farnborough LARS is definitely a great social media! Speak soon.

I'm off for a bath, wine and sleep.

Again thank you all for your kind words and generosity in flying into our charity event, I have no idea how much has been raised, but several charities will benefit greatly.

John
By Highland Park
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
As I've just joined the Shiny Colt syndicate at Tibenham, it's the sort of thing I want to do next year, although I may have to handcuff some of the other members first, so that I can do it. I did a recce there on the Friday beforehand with another syndicate member, who took it into the event and it certainly looked lovely...
By LZ791
Do it Highland Park you wont regret it. I took a PA28 Archer in twice on the Sunday. Providing you use a short field approach applicable to type you should have no problem.
When I know I have a short field landing ahead I always shoot a couple at home base and normally end up surprising myself at just how short the Archer can land and stop when flown correctly.
Trick is to nail the speed immediately after turning final, hang her on the prop, down on the numbers and instantly onto the brakes.

That said this is all done with one passenger and no more then 2/3 tanks. Full payload will likely cost you dearly!!
Thank you again everybody;

Next year the date will be Saturday and Sunday 12th and 13th of July. all the license applications are in with the CAA and I'm searching hard for virgins to sacrifice to the weather gods.

For everyone who sent me such kind personal e-mails I will be in touch again soon, Heveningham ended and my employers decided to take their Chief Pilot back and work him to death for the last couple of weeks! Also I was flying in the RIAT display which took a lot of time away (but the hangar party was an epic)

Regards and happy flying

John