What are you planning? Where shall we go?
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I know some exhibitors take themselves off to the pub down the road.
By flybymike
Pitsford I imagine.
You might be going round in circles some considerable time before landing......
By ChampChump
Flybymike

We have had no trouble getting a table at The Aviator, surprisingly, which is also The Place for breakfast. There, that's spoiled it.

Northampton isn't far either. When my American friend came over we got her a hotel room there (local B&Bs all full and prolly are now).

Can't recall what was on offer restaurant wise, but five mins on the web is the answer.

In haste...
By flybymike
Thanks Champ. We'll be in the campervan so accommodation not a problem.

Many previous visits told me that getting a decent meal (and I include the plate of gruel from Hangar one) can be rather more difficult!
By shortstripper
What's on the campervan menu? ... I'll pop round about 8pm ok? :thumright: :lol:
By Ian Flyer
weirdfish wrote:
Ian Flyer wrote:Is anyone else having any problems with the arrival slot booking web site?

I've tried twice now and haven't received the email confirmation that you have to 'click' to confirm. Had one booking 'removed' from the list already, expecting the second one to go any time now.

Yeah, I'm having the same bother. :?

Well I'm glad it's not just me.....although my second booking is still there though...maybe the email(s) I sent them did something?
By weirdfish
I did get a reply to the email I sent and I booked the slot that way. I didn't get an acknowledgement of a problem with the system though.

My booking is still showing for Saturday morning so I think it's now ok.
By weirdfish
Remosflyer wrote:Is the slot time over Pitsford or touchdown?

flybymike wrote:Pitsford I imagine.
You might be going round in circles some considerable time before landing......

That's a good point, I'd assumed it was touchdown but Pitsford makes more sense in this case. The 29 page procedure document doesn't do a lot to ease the nerves of flying into an event like this for the first time that's for sure :pale:
By flybymike
I've been many times but only flown in twice. On the first occasion I managed to cut someone up in the procedure (just didn't see him) leading to a "non routine" break of radio silence from the aggrieved party and some embarrassment for me.
On the second occasion we sailed straight in with no problem or delay. To be honest it's not as terrifying in real life as the prospect suggests, but you can simply just be lucky or unlucky I suppose. I think a certain "philosophical" outlook is required for the join and approach otherwise you just get stressed out and upset if things don't work out right.
These days I just stick to using the campervan and combine the visit with a few days away to other destinations.
By flybymike
shortstripper wrote:What's on the campervan menu? ... I'll pop round about 8pm ok? :thumright: :lol:

The campervan cooking is Carp. We'll be dahn the nearest pub.... :wink:
By cirrostratus
Can recommend the "Griffins Head" at Mears Ashby which can be reached in 30 mins walk from the Aviator :P
By Ian Flyer
Well, we flew in yesterday and the standard of some people's reading of the instructions was as bad as I remembered.....
We came from the North, did two sides of the orbit and, looking quiet, we headed off to final for runway 03.
We'd seen an Arrow fly straight across the middle of the orbit and headed off to the south somewhere, then as we were on final (our approach speed is only about 60kts) he flew back on an extremely long final approach, went underneath us and announced that he was on final to land.
Another aircraft cutting in from the left made up our minds to go around........
Thankfully the next orbit and approach were more relaxed.
We heard numerous people at different times on the radio, announcing that they were inbound and asking for joining instructions.......!
By Robin500
Ian Flyer wrote:Well, we flew in yesterday and the standard of some people's reading of the instructions was as bad as I remembered.....

We heard numerous people at different times on the radio, announcing that they were inbound and asking for joining instructions.......!

This never ceases to disappoint me, I do wonder what planet these numpties are from.