For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Dunno about the ride available from the kengreen, but a rallying lady of our acquaintance spent 20 years saving up for her Morgan, and sold it within a year.
By Jim Jones
kengreen wrote:Bill,

You seem to have lost the spirit of the Forum ?

If it's old, like the octogenarian driver of RED buses, then in homage to your production of testosterone, it HAS to be bashed.

That's it!
Definite troll. Now on ignore list. Bye "Ken".
By KevinH
Jim Jones wrote:
kengreen wrote:Bill,

You seem to have lost the spirit of the Forum ?

If it's old, like the octogenarian driver of RED buses, then in homage to your production of testosterone, it HAS to be bashed.

That's it!
Definite troll. Now on ignore list. Bye "Ken".

He is Timothy and Gerard, taking turns after a few too many larger beers.
By Keef
KevinH wrote:He is Timothy and Gerard, taking turns after a few too many larger beers.

Timothy doesn't* drink beer at all, larger or smaller. That washes that theory out.

* or didn't, last time I offered to buy him a pint.
By Vince C
Peter Pan wrote:I'd pay a bit for a new-build Vincent Black Shadow....

They are available, but for a bit more money you can buy the real thing. The copy will always be a copy and will never have the intrinsic (or financial) worth of the original.
By Lowtimer
True, but the upside is that you can drive it hard and leave it in the station car park to get rained on with no damage to national heritage, or having to feel guilty if you blow it up or write it off.

Both have a place, as with the new-build FW 190, Lynx D-type , etc.

Incidentally, I spent some quality time admiring a very lovely Black Prince a couple of weekends ago. I am not a biker but I think as an artefact that's my personal favourite bike, what a 1950s Darth Vader would ride.
By Gerard Clarke
I really like old cars that make your teeth fall out and are a bit rubbish, but it always seems best to me to have a real one rather than a modern replica.
By Jim Jones
When I have had the chance to drive a classic I have always enjoyed the time warp experience (how, skilled/brave/foolish people must have been back then) but wouldn't want to have it as a sole means of getting about in today's conditions.

I have only ever flown classic aircraft of course (PA28, C150, Jodel) so still wonder what a modern type would be like............
By Gerard Clarke
I am one of those nutters who drives a forty year old heap as an everyday motor, and doing so does have its drawbacks. I am not the worst nutter in the neighbourhood, however, as a bloke down the road has a spiffy mid fifties Riley as his everyday ride. Other local loons include a nice pair of Bristols, and what must be a galvanised Mark IV Spitfire with a permanent hard top. As my area is popular with City girlies and spenders of the pink pound, there are also loads of the big square Merc SEL coupes/convertibles from the 70s-80s , and even a black number plated Pagoda-top or two. All of these jalopes live on the streets in all weathers and move about regularly, when not exploding.
Last edited by Gerard Clarke on Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jim Jones
Gerard Clarke wrote:I am one of those nutters who drives a forty year old heap as an everyday motor, and doing so does have its drawbacks. I am not the worst nutter in the neighbourhood, however, as a bloke down the road has a spiffy mid fifties Riley as his everyday ride. Other local loons include a nice pair of Bristols, and what must be a galvanised Mark IV Spitfire with a permanent hard top. As my area is popular with City girlies and spenders of the pink pound, there are also loads of the big square Merc SEL coupoes/convertibles from the 70s-80s , and even a black number plated Pagoda-top or two. All of these jalopes live on the streets in all weathers and move about regularly, when not exploding.

Yeah, but you're in that London, with a lot of options like buses, tube, taxis and Boris bikes to get you to 99% of your destinations when all the smoke leaks out of your engine. I need to know I won't be left on the M62 hard shoulder between J22 and 23, nor somewhere really isolated and dangerous like the Leeds inner ring road. I also enjoy aircon, traction, ESP, MP3 connectability..........

(edited to correct gross apostrophe misuse)
Last edited by Jim Jones on Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By kengreen
In their day, Jim, to drive around in those classics was always accompanied by typical excitements.

My wife's (very-late) Aunt was a civil servant who could afford to go horse-riding, took flying lessons and owned a car - disgracefully avant garde for her day. Came a day when she attempted to overtake a tram only to discover that a second tram was approaching. Her car became a little bent - sort of wasp waisted I understand - but I never heard the end of the story.