For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chrisN
My brother has asked me to seek opinions on which is better (or least worst) of the following, one of which he wants to buy: BMW Z4, or Merc SLK 200.

(I have little idea why he has brought it down to just those two, but that is all he is interested in.)

Any opinions on their comparative virtues and vices?

Thanks for serious answers!

Chris N.
By Jim Jones
SLK smooth and relaxed. Folding hard top excellent and build quality superb. Not hugely sporty in nature but performance more than adequate and looks superb. Current model 200 has more power. Air scarf option brilliant and makes top down motoring possible all year. I'd be daft not to have it if buying new and would be a clincher for used buy.

BMW Z4? Well, do you let them out at junctions?
Never been in one but have 6 days experience of SLK and loving every moment. :D
By Rob P
Merc seem to be getting over their quality issues, so probably little to choose in terms of reliability.

BMW is a lot quicker and has a 6-cyl motor.

Merc is a lot softer and more 'comfy' but is still stuck with a four-pot.

After that it really comes down to which do you like the look of best?

Rob P
By Rob P
Honda S2000?

Naw! Jezza says all Japanese cars have dodgy electrics (or something similar)

Rob P
By Peter Pan
Damn. Only managed to hijack 'man with a reasonably asked question' thread with a CTSNBN answer after 5 posts. My Windows Phone 7 thread was nobbled by the iPhone Mob after only 3.
By chrisN
Peter Pan, you are out of order on two counts.

1. "I" cannot consider anything - it is my brother who seeks advice, not me. RTFQ.

2. He is trading in his 13-year old 2-seater made by a Japanese company, model name I can't remember exactly, except it starts with an "M" and ends with a numeral, I believe.

He has decided that one of these two is to be his new car and there is no point in suggesting anything else.

Chris N.
By Rob P
I think PP was being ironic Chris.

Rob P
By Keef
Very much a personal thing. If it is to be a new car, then drive both and see which grabs you.

If he's moving up from the little Japanese sports car, and if he likes that, then the Mercedes sounds the better bet.

Personally, I'd go for the Mercedes anyway, because out-and-out speed isn't as much use these days, and the greater refinement appeals to me. BMWs are bad for the driving licence, and seen to bring out the worst in some folks :) (that's a smiley cos I'm sort-of joking a lil bit).
By Rob P
But isn't there a dichotomy here?

The purpose of a 'spots car' is to be 'sporting' and single minded.

If what you want is comfort, space, lots of equipment, great refinement, wouldn't one be better off buying a nice fat saloon car?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Merc is a lot softer and more 'comfy' but is still stuck with a four-pot.

'Soft' and 'comfy' are not terms I recognise in the Mercedes marque.......

Unless you have a well-padded kraut *rse........

Peter