For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I'm considering upgrading to BT Infinity (Iv'e just discovered it is available locally), however I am happy with my Draytek Vigor 120 (thanks Steve) and Time Capsule set up. As part of the upgrade BT will send a Home Hub 5.

My question is, do I have to use the Home Hub, or will Infinity work fine on my current set up? I guess I should also ask if the latest generation (5) Home Hub has any benefits over my current set up?

TIA
I use the Vigor 120 on ADSL here. I'm not with BT Retail as an ISP but I got the Openreach modem with my "Infinity" VDSL.

I haven't used it but understand the Vigor 130 supports either ADSL or VDSL so may be a good option for replacing the Vigor 120 whilst keeping the rest of your setup the same.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I upgraded to Homehub 5 when we moved last summer:

I've always been with BTInfinity internet but Hub5 is light years better the hub 4 as router and Wifi are now combined into one neat box .

Range is very good throughout 4 bed brick house and out into back garden (better than 4) though I do use a Solwise mains 'stretcher' for the back office as the signal was a bit patchy.

Peter
stevelup wrote:You do not have to use the BT Hub, and indeed I would not recommend it as there are compatibility issues with all sorts of other kit.

The couple of HH5's that I've encountered have shocking wireless performance (with the Android devices I was trying to connect at least). I'm talking about probably 15-20m away in the next room having virtually no signal and packet loss on pings to the router's LAN IP.